Friday, May 31, 2013

Can't you just almost smell those lilacs when you log on to this page?  We were working outside yesterday and every now and then the wind would carry a sweet waft of aroma from the lilacs on the other side of the houseI've resisted bringing any into the house - sometimes they are overpowering - and then they begin to droop and die, and I'm sorry I killed them.

Seriously, I love having the windows open this time of year and smelling the apple blossoms, lilacs, and the grass after Fred has just mowed - sometimes when he mows by the mint patch the air is especially fragrant.  I picked a small bunch of mint to go with my dandelion green salad yesterday.  I often put young dandelion leaves in with lettuce and other greens in a salad, but recently I heard about marinating kale with lemon and orange juice to soften it and remove some of the bitternessI don't care for kale, cooked or raw, but I thought the marinating might work on dandelion leaves.  I didn't bother looking for young ones, just nice dark green leaves.  Click here for dandelion data.  Actually, it worked rather well.  I marinated the washed and cut up dandelion leaves and then covered them with lemon juice, salt and pepper and stored them in a closed container in the fridge for a few hours until I was ready to use them.  Then I added grated carrots, some olive oil and just a tad of mayonnaise, tossed it all together (including the original lemon juice) and some chopped mint leaves, and it was very good.  Fred, who doesn't care for kale either, liked it and said he'd have it again.  He's right about that - I'll be using more of those pesky weeds this summer.  They do require a bit more chewing than lettuce or baby spinach, but that's a good thing - just a little extra exercise!

 

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...