Friday, June 08, 2012

It's great that so many Joe's Pond folks are back.  When we went down West Shore Road yesterday, it was good to see there were cars in driveways and signs of summertime life as usual all the way along the road.  

I had a call from Walter Ruf - I believe he and Mimi were going to try Butter's Restaurant in Cabot, but I haven't heard how it was. We had seen Walter a little while ago, so knew they were back.  The Gardners are here, and the Allens, Aimes, Bertrands and Rogers - also the Ray Rouleaus, but they have been here for at least two weeks.  There are more lights around the pond, too, and we had a report of some sort of commotion up at Ted Chase's place last night.  We aren't sure if it was an emergency or something to do with his upcoming nuptials.  

I just had a call from Bryce Montgomery.  He and Ester just arrived back.  I was surprised that they spent the winter in Vermont this year, with their daughter and son-in-law.  Bryce helped out with sugaring and said they had a good winter.  He called to let us know the loon family in the middle pond paid them a visit.  Bryce didn't know about the eagle that has been hanging around, but said he'll keep an eye out for it.  I think I'd forgotten to let everyone know the nesting loons on the middle pond hatched two chicks, too - a week or so after the birth of the two chicks from Pearl's island.  Evelyn let me know earlier this week, and said Ray took away the buoys that were in place to let people know to stay well away from the nests.  

No more sightings of the eagle, as far as we know, so perhaps the loon chicks have a good chance of making it.  Fish and Wildlife expert, Eric Palmer, told me one of the biggest threats to loon chicks is other adult loons.  I suppose as more chicks are born here, more will be returning, looking for nesting habitat, and that's when the adult loons become aggressive.  Anyway, be sure you give the loons in the middle pond and their cousins up in the big pond plenty of space.  Like Evelyn says, the loon parents have a big enough job watching out for what's in the water and up in the air, and shouldn't have to dodge motor boats, kayaks or jet-skis. 

I'm packing things up to take to the Historical Society building tomorrow afternoon.  It seems that Fred is elected to "volunteer" to help move some furniture around, so will be going with me.  That was a surprise for him - I think he was looking forward to having the house to himself for a couple of hours, but I had to tell him it ain't gonna happen this time.  It will be nice to have him there to carry in the boxes of stuff I'm returning that I've been working on this winter.  It will also be nice to gain a bit of extra space here in my small office.  It won't last, though.  As soon as I have a table cleared off or a corner empty, I somehow manage to fill it up again.  It's just a matter of moving stuff that's been stored in our basement up here where I can begin working on it.  Eventually, I hope to have both areas full of free space!

No comments:

Sad News

A long-time West Danville resident and recent flood victim, Dot "Pete" Blackadar , passed away on Saturday, September 15th. Pete w...