Thursday, February 23, 2012

We've had a bit of everything for weather today. We got about an inch of new snow overnight, and today there have been snow showers, sunny periods, and low hanging clouds, with temperatures in the mid to upper 30's and low 40's. There has been some wind, but the snow is heavy and is still sticking to the trees. Tomorrow we are expecting from 3-5 inches more snow, so the roads could get a bit slippery. Our back road looks more muddy than snowy - like it does in the middle of March. I just took this picture as the sun was hitting the clouds in the east. There is a fairly strong west wind that seems to be moving storm-laden clouds our way in a hurry.

There will be a special gathering at the pavilion this summer, called Spirit(s) of Vermont. It will be Sunday, July 8th from 2 to 6 pm. It's to raise money for the Pope Memorial Library, and Henretta Splain tells us she and the other organizers are shooting for at least four wineries, four distillers and four breweries to showcase their products. She said they are trying to keep the participants to the NE Kingdom and nearby surrounds. It sounds like it will be a fun event, so mark you calendars. It is also on the Events Calendar, and we'll no doubt have reminders as the date comes closer.


As often happens, someone reads the blog and connects with something I've mentioned regarding Cabot history. Today I've been corresponding with a grandson of Roman Kurz, who I mentioned owned the B & K Cheese plant in Cabot in the 1940's. I've had great fun searching out photos and information for this gentleman, and was able to put him in touch with some people who may be able to tell him more about his grandfather. He didn't have a photo of his grandfather, so I was able to send this one from the Cabot Historical Society collection. His uncle, Bob Kurz is shown in the middle - home on leave during WWII, or perhaps just about the time he was discharged, judging from the date. That is Bob Brimblecomb standing with Bob and his father, Roman Kurz. Brimblecomb was a local plumber whose shop was where the Historical Society museum is now. I believe the building the men are on was part of the Cabot Creamery, and Mr. Kurz began his cheese-making operation there. He later moved to a one-story building I think he built near his home, above where Cabot Commons housing development is now.

Going through my photo files to find the Kurz photos inspired me to reorganize those files, and that is proving to be a huge project. I'm only working on the photos for Cabot Historical Society; my own personal collection, will need to wait. It will be interesting to see how many photos there are in the collection(s) if I am able to accomplish what I'm setting out to do. This is a diversion from some of the other work I've been doing, but it gives me some ideas how to improve the process of preserving photos and document scans. I often think that if I were to begin the process all over again, I'd do it differently; but I've come too far to re-do it, so will try to make it more efficient as I continue to learn.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...