Friday, February 24, 2012

We're getting some snow this afternoon. I've had the scanner on as I was working here at my computer, and the official word is that from 4-8 inches is expected over night and another 3-4 tomorrow. It looks like we have about 1 in. so far. Apparently some areas like in St. Johnsbury and probably west of us, too, it has been rain and freezing rain. There have been a few reports of cars spinning out, so the driving is not great. I don't think we got any rain here at Joe's Pond, but the snow still makes the roads slippery. It's good that this comes on the weekend when fewer people have to get to work.

I've been sorting and filing the pictures I have scanned for the historical society in Cabot. I decided I should try to put them in better shape so I can find them - or so anyone else could find them, which means I've had to re-name many of them so they will show up alphabetically in a logical way. It's been time consuming, but I've been able to get 1,014 of them done and on a CD-R. There are more, but I'll do them another time. I have lots of duplicates, and this is a good way to sift them out. I have sometimes several versions of the same subject - depending on the year it was taken, angle, or whatever. Different things sometimes show up in those that appear to be exact copies, so I keep them. The originals are all filed away in albums and duplicates stored in archival containers, so we're making progress. Now I'd like to get them onto the web site so lots of other people can access them.

We've been hearing more about the norovirus that's always around this time of year. I heard on CBS this morning that every year there are 20 million cases reported, and about 800 deaths. It hits the very young and elderly hardest. Most folks come out of it ok as long as they stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. The report also said scientists are working on a vaccine. The advice for the present is to be sure to wash your hands frequently and stay out of crowds.

The scanner is crackling with activity - mostly road crews discussing what course of action they will take to keep ahead of tonight's storm. They may be in for a long night.

I've had a busy day, and now it's supper time. There are supposed to be strong winds tonight, and that always means our power could go off, so I want to get our meal out of the way so I won't need to cook on the wood stove - a slow process at best, but always an option if needed - known as "Plan B."


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...