Saturday, February 25, 2012

I measured 5 1/2 in. of new snow this morning. There are now 22 1/2 in. showing at my stake in the back yard. We've had quite a lot of wind, so the snow is blowing around now, but there's still a lot on the trees. There are some white-out's from blowing snow on the highways, but traffic seems to be moving well.

We didn't lose our power last night, and while we've only had a glimmer of sunshine from time to time so far today, it isn't very cold - about 28 degrees - and really kind of fun to be out with the snow blowing around. It's kinda like a March storm . . . ! Lots of people are elated with the new snow, and with more to come, winter is finally looking more normal.

I had a newsletter today from Bob Labrie who runs the ice-out contest in Goshen, Mass. He commented on the "whacky winter" and is hoping the ice on their little pond lasts until April. They don't have as much ice as we do, and almost no snow, and their flag always goes down a week or two before ours. This year, who knows? I'm going to be prepared - I'm starting the newsletter now and will try to have it ready to go whenever the contest ends. I already have had a few announcements and hope to have others, plus some ads have come in early. I love it when there are new businesses in the area to include along with our regulars. Our ads are not expensive, and the newsletter reaches all of our approximately 300 member families around the pond - plus well beyond as we post the newsletter on the website, so lots of folks get to see the ads and read our Joe's Pond news.

Our cat, Woody, gets pretty bored this time of year. He was outside with me for a short time this morning, but wasn't happy with the blowing snow, so hung out in the garage until I'd finished shoveling the deck and taking my snow measurements for CoCoRaHS. When I was finished and we came inside, he was full of energy, but that lasted only a few minutes. Sometimes when he gets really bored, he hangs out on the mantle, carefully arranging himself among the various objects I keep there, and so far has avoided knocking anything off. Occasionally he jumps down from there onto the back of my chair, and if I happen to be in it, that creates quite a rumpus because I am generally not aware he's even on the mantle, let alone going to pounce on my shoulders. I guess scaring the daylights out of Jane is his fun winter pastime.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...