Monday, December 19, 2011

Our weather has warmed up considerably today. It's actually about 34 degrees now, after two nights of near zero readings. By that I mean, a few degrees above or below zero - depending on where the thermometer was and what time it was read. The pond was pretty solidly frozen over as of this morning. There were spots that looked like open water, but upon closer inspection, we determined that it was actually very clear ice without any snow on it. Some of the pond had opened up, so when the temperature dropped night before last, that open water froze making it look as if it was still open. Not solid enough for ice fishermen or snow machines yet, and it looks as if we're headed for milder weather, so it's hard to tell if it's going to open things up again or not. This is at least the second or maybe even the third time it has frozen over - just like the old timers say has to happen.

We could really use more snow, but nobody wants to say that out loud because we don't know who's listening or how much we might get if our wish is granted. It's always nice to have a white Christmas, but we don't want to get foolish about it.

We were in St. Johnsbury again this morning. As we came back to West Danville, the weather had warmed considerably even though we'd only been gone a few hours. These pictures show you we don't have lots of snow, even in West Danville. Next month at this time I'll probably be posting much different pictures.

I got some "creepers" to put on my boots for walking. Fred has had some for a while and today I saw some in the hardware store and decided to give them a try. I'm always fearful of slipping on icy roads when we are walking, especially when coming down our steep driveway. I wore them the first time today and what a difference! I think mine are called "Yak-Traks." I remember years ago people used to have some sharp metal claw-like rigs that they strapped on their boots to keep from slipping. They were sharp and dangerous, but these newfangled things are much less intimidating and probably way more effective. Now I wonder why I waited so long to get them.

I saw in a recent Caledonian Record that the Langmaid/Smith cottage on North Shore Road is on the market. I knew the family had decided to sell, but hadn't seen the ad before. It's always sad when someone decides to sell their Joe's Pond property, but as times change, so do the interests and needs of families. It's a great location, close to the recreation area. It will make someone a nice vacation home.


No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...