Thursday, February 24, 2011

JAQUITH PUBLIC LIBRARY, MARSHFIELD, VERMONT

Marshfield: Wednesday, March 9 at 7 p.m. – Reading with local authors Robert
Barasch and Charles Barasch. Robert will read from his new book Parallel
Play: a Novel about a young attorney who enacts a repeated dream by
appearing naked in a public place leading to his referral to psychiatric
treatment. Charles Barasch will read from his new work as well as his book Dreams of the
Presidents, which contains 42 poems, each one a dream a U.S. president might
have had. At the Jaquith Public Library on School St. For more info. call
426-3581 or e-mail: jaquithpubliclibrary@hotmail.com

Marshfield: Thursday, March 10 at 7:00 p.m.- Sports Film Series:
This Academy Award winner cycles highon comedy as four friends come to terms with life
after high school. When a top-notch cyclist learns that the world's bicycling champions are always Italian, he attempts to turn himself into an Italian, driving his parents
crazy. But everything changes after he meets the Italian racing team -- an
encounter that ultimately leads him and his friends to challenge the local
college boys in the town's annual bike race. At the Jaquith Public Library
on School St. For the title of the film call 426-3581 or e-mail:
jaquithpubliclibrary@hotmail.com

********

I sort of took the day off yesterday. I've mentioned before that four of us, Fred and I and two of our neighbors, celebrate birthdays by going out for lunch. When Fred's birthday came around in early January, there was one thing after another that delayed our going out - the weather, one of our neighbors was not feeling well, then the other had company for a few weeks, then the weather again - so when we saw a break coming up for yesterday, we said, let's do it!

These pictures show you the kind of spring day we'd been patiently waiting for all these snowy weeks.

The restaurant of choice for some time now when we go out with our friends has been "99" in Littleton, NH. That started when we went there one summer day when it first opened and had probably the best lobster rolls any of us had ever had west of the coast of Maine. Over time we've learned that "99" serves lobster rolls only occasionally in the summer, and in the past they have not been on the regular menu, but invariably when we go there, no matter what month, one of us will ask hopefully, "Do you have lobster rolls today?"

We were disappointed again yesterday, of course, but life goes on and we had a very nice lunch in spite of no lobster rolls. We made the usual stops at Staples and Walmart, and then agreed to add McDonalds as a required stop for ice cream on these trips. Of course, the nice lady who took our order for "ice cream cones," patiently explained it's not really ice cream, it's frozen yogurt, but that fell on deaf ears (no pun intended) and we settled at a table to watch waves of people surging around us, mainly little kids with teenage brothers, sisters and I suppose sitters in the mix, with a few obviously harassed adults trying to keep order. It had been the same sort of crowded bedlam at Walmart, and I explained to our neighbor ladies that schools are closed this week for vacation. The strip on Rte. 302 in Littleton is as close as kids in that area can get to being at a mall without traveling miles.

We had a very nice day and shortly after arriving home I had a call from son, Bill, in answer to my plea to tell me again the name they'd picked for our granddaughter when she arrives in July. He wanted to let me know he'd sent an e-mail with all the info I needed. Here's his e-mail:

The first name we picked for the baby is "Tangeni". That is Monika's sister's name, and also I think one of her grandmothers as well...family name from her side either way, and a name specific to the Ovambo tribe in Namibia which roughly translates to "praise God". Looking around online, the sites all say it's a boy's name which Monika says it definitely is NOT. The boy's version is spelled differently something like Tangei I think she said. Anyway, we are letting Jo-Ann pick out the middle name (within reason), as long as it's not Hannah Montana or Lady Gaga....we'll let you know on that one!

So right off the bat I figured I'd use a mnemonic to remember it now, something like "tan genie," with mental pictures of Barbara Eden, right? Turns out I was pronouncing it wrong, and Fred set me straight, having discussed it with Bill before I got on the phone. Fred told me it's "tan-JAY-nee" like there is a hard "a" in there. So then he gives me his version of how to remember it - simply think, "tan Janie." Now that makes it really easy maybe for him, but my mental picture switches to Don Mullallay. That's a stretch for you, I know, but Don is about the only person who still calls me "Janie," and I can't help what pops into mind to help me remember, now can I? But I can work with it.

I'm sure we'll all get used to the name, Tangeni, but what worries me now is that Bill mentioned this is the "first name we picked," so does that mean there may be others in the running? Never mind, I think it's a lovely name and I'm sure Jo-Ann will pick a nice name to go with it, and even if the name changes before the little one arrives in July, we'll adapt.


Back to work - I have put up the maple sugaring page on the Cabot Historical Society website, www.cabothistory.com and now I'm starting to work on Cabot ponds. There are five, so I'd better get started.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...