Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beautiful bright sunshine today, but there's a bitter northwest wind and the thermometer is barely above 10 degrees. The sunshine is wonderful, and there's even a bit of warmth to it, out of the wind. I just came in from hiking up Jamie and Marie's driveway and my feet were cold. I keep a big old round stone by the wood stove and have brought that in to put my stockinged feet on while I'm typing. So nice and warm. I was talking with Blanche Lamore yesterday - she's going on 99 years old - and we were discussing how folks used to keep those hot rocks on the back of the old wood stoves years ago to use in sleighs to keep warm, and later in the early cars that had no heaters. Blanche has a wealth of information.

I had a nice note from Terry Powers this morning and a very sweet picture:

Ann and I are pleased announce that we will have a new Great Nephew around camp this summer. Michael Hovey Lewis was born in Burlington yesterday. Michael's parents Chris and Michelle Lewis and sister Kathryn spend lots of summer days and nights at the pond during the summer. You'll see them playing on the lawn or cruising in the pontoon.
How exciting it is to know that he will grow up to experience the love of Joe's Pond as we all do!!!!
Terry

We thank Terry and Ann for the good news.

The weekend produced a bunch of ski and snowmobile accidents. It's
unfortunate people don't take more care when they're out having fun. Accidents will certainly happen sometimes, no matter how careful we are, but sometimes people don't seem to use common sense - like skiing out of bounds or on slopes that are beyond their capabilities; and snowmobilers sometimes don't realize how fast they are going and sometimes don't take proper care when crossing roadways. It's very sad when a vacation ends in tragedy. At right, snowmobilers in West Danville at the rail trail crossing of Rte. 2.



No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...