Tuesday, April 27, 2010


Remember that photo I took this morning of my lawn? This is how it looks now. It has been snowing since about 1 p.m. Until then it was rain. Now it's about 32 degrees and still snowing quite hard. I just measured 3.5 inches. There have been some fender-benders in the Burlington area, and I expect some in our area, too. I just turned on the scanner, so will see what's happening, if anything.

The snow is beautiful, but a little shocking, too, after the green grass and flowers and baby leaves sprouting on the trees. I think the prediction is for much wa
rmer weather after this is over, starting around Thursday. This is going to be a lot of water to absorb. The picture below is part of what I see from my office window - really very nice, as long as it doesn't stay around too long. The photos look like they were taken in black and white, don't they?!

I had an interesting e-mail from my daughter-in-law, Marie, a few minutes ago. She'd read about my finding some of the old cocoa mulch I'd used several years ago still in my flower beds. Since I wrote that, I've covered it with fresh mulch from the tree trimming we did a few days ago, so I'm assuming none of our neighborhood animals will find it. However, here's what Marie wrote:

FYI - also did you know that cocoa mulch is highly toxic to dogs and cats. I got a notification through my hospital email about this. I guess someone bought bags of this cocoa mulch at Target and their puppy ate some of it not sure how much, threw it up and then next morning on their morning outing the puppy had a seizure and died. There was no warning on the bag either, pretty darn sad.

Now that I think about it, we've been warned not to give chocolate to pets, so this makes sense. I checked to see if there was anything about it, and sure enough, I found this site: www.avma.org

On a lighter note, I also had this from our neighbor, Henretta Splain, a few minutes ago.

So what do you think of our crazy forecast? Snow and then muggy and 70 degrees this weekend. I figure one of these days I am going to see Fred snow blowing in Bermuda shorts and flip flops with crampons!!

That cracked me up. Fred just went out to check the driveways - but no shorts or flip flops. It's getting harder and harder to decide what to wear when you go outside these days. We almost always check the thermometer and THEN decide.

Nothing happening on the scanner, so I guess most folks are making it home ok. It's about time for the news on Channel 3, so we'll find out how the rest of the state is doing with this neat spring snow storm.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...