Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good morning! We're sort of looking down the barrel of a snow storm here. There is a light rain falling and it's 40 degrees right now. Not unpleasant, but as the temperature drops, we'll begin to get some heavy wet snow according to the forecast. At right is how my lawn looks this morning. It will probably be a lot different tomorrow morning.

Jay Peak is already advertising that they'll be open for skiing this weekend. (
http://www.jaypeakresort.com/ ) The forecast hasn't changed and areas above 1000 ft. can expect from 6 to 12 inches. That definitely includes us.

Fred and I walked early this morning since we wanted to avoid the nast
y weather and we both have a busy day ahead. There was a mist in the air when we headed out and by the time we got back, about half an hour later, it was more like rain. I had .20 in. in my gauge when I checked at 9 o'clock. This is what our day looks like so far.

You'll see a new comment on the comment page; also we have one on yesterday's blog. (Scroll to the bottom of yesterday's blog and check on "1 comment".) We are glad when readers participate in discussions, so if you have opinions on either comment, add your own. That's what a democracy is about. Besides, it makes the web site a whole lot more interesting!

A few days ago we were talking here about The No Work Gardening Book by Ruth Stout. A friend in Cabot, Peter Dannenberg, sent this interesting information:
A bit of trivia: Ruth was the sister of detective story writer Rex Stout.
His mysteries starred a reclusive obese genius name Nero Wolfe. The
detective occupied an entire brownstone house in New York City, which he
almost never left.

Wolfe raised rare orchids in a greenhouse on the roof. His leg work was done
by a tough-talking private eye, Archie, and other helpers. Then Wolfe would
piece clues together and solve the cases in the comfort of his sumptuous
home while dining on gourmet meals prepared exclusively for him by his
private live-in chef. Rex Stout's mysteries were among my favorites when I
was an adolescent.

I now have Bonnie as my live-in epicurean chef. She constantly protests that
she doesn't cook well, but a glance at me belies that. However, I can't
raise orchids and the only crimes I solve are the thin plots of police
dramas on TV. I drive Bonnie to distraction by blurting out whodunit before
the TV detective.

Thanks, Peter, I never made the connection. In case some of you don't know the detective stories or Rex Stout, you may be interested in this link: Rex Stout

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...