Tuesday, July 21, 2009

If you watch the Comments Page, you'll see that prescription glasses were found on Old Homestead road. Thanks, Karen, for posting that notice.

We also had a comment on the blog about the loons. I'll copy it here for you, or you can scroll down to see it:
Jane:

The picture of the loon gathering reminded me that we have seen this too on a couple of occasions over the years. The story I heard some place was that they fly in from neighboring ponds to visit and take turns as host! Don't know if that is true, but there are many less surprising things in the Wild Kingdom.

-Tom Morgan

I don't know about the hosting bit, but it's a cool story. Maybe they discuss travel plans getting ready for their fall migration . . . thanks, Tom, your message put a smile on my face, for sure!

This afternoon I finally got out to help Fred scrape the tractor garage to get it ready to paint. I had to work carefully around some bees that have nested either under or in the foundation. I heard them in time so I didn't get stung, and they weren't at all aggressive, but I kept an eye on them. I only worked about an hour when the rain came. We're wondering if we'll get a dry day to paint. It would be better to have two or thee dry days, but I guess that's asking too much.

I've been working on more old photographs from the historical society. Unfortunately, we don't know who most of them are, and many are nearly faded away. Many are tintypes, and some have been exposed to light too much and are pretty much lost. I've scanned all of them and perhaps we'll find out who some of them are. We think most of them came from the Smith family that lived in Lower Cabot. Two albums have the name, "Abbie Smith Babbitt" in them, and we know Abbie Babbitt very well. The photo here was when Abbie Smith was a little girl, and she grew up to be a very lovely lady.



No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...