Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The following came from Steve Dudley, and my response follows:

Jane -
Saw your photo of the pegs on the blog. The size may be different, but these look like ones I found when we cleaned out my grandfather's house here in Connecticut.
If the size is right, I believe that these are glass or porcelain insulator holders. The insulator would screw on the threads and the angle piece would be screwed to the side of a house for the 110 volt electrical lines to hook to the insulator from the power lines at the road, installed to keep the insulator from touching the siding of the house. There would have been three per house - one for each leg of 110 volt service and the neutral - as lines uses to go to houses before they were twisted together as today.
The ones I kept are made of oak or other hard wood - my grandfather kept everything and obviously kept these when they upgraded to subsequest wire insulators or the braided service - you never know when you might need it!!! It seems I remember porcelain insulators for three wire services, so these may be earlier than 1950-1960?
My guess is that this ring of them was hung on the back of a lineman's truck and the dozen were as they were delivered to the utility.
I'll measure the ones I have when I get home and let you know.
So, that's my two cents worth.
Keep up the good work - the blog is always enjoyable and keeps us up to date when we can't be there!
Regards,
Stephen Dudley 1179 West Shore Road and Guilford CT.
My reply:
Steve -
Thank you for that information. That makes perfect sense. These don't seem to have been exposed to the weather, and the threads look as if they have never been used. I have some of those old glass insulators - I'll take a couple down to the museum and try them, and if they fit, I bet we have it right! I remember seeing the threaded wooden pieces on the arms of the old electric light poles and sometimes the telephone companies had them attached to the sides of the poles, as I recall.
You're the first to respond. I'll post your suggestion on the blog and see if anyone else remembers or has a different idea. Thank so much, and glad you enjoy the blog. --Jane

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...