Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A little while ago I mentioned that the 2010 Ice-Out Contest tickets would be ready on the web site soon, and now they are. I know it seems too early to think about the game, but you'd be surprised how many people have asked for the tickets already. I think we got a request within about two weeks after this year's winner was announced. We have some dedicated players out there!

I thought you might like to see what the new tickets look like, so here's a picture. Pretty, aren't they? Bright and spring-like. They'll look nice tucked into greeting cards or Christmas stockings.

It's been a really pleasant day here. The sun stayed out most of the day and there was a lovely brisk wind. Great for sailing, and for working outside. The black flies didn't have a chance except to bump into us accidentally as they blew about in the wind. I guess they literally lay low when the wind is strong like today.

Our nephew and his wife and three-year-old daughter came for lunch, and later I worked in the garden for a little while and Fred worked at splitting up the wood from the two trees he took down last week. The wind had died a bit and the little black pests were swarming over me, (the don't bother Fred so much) but the Crocodile bug repellent seemed to keep them at bay. Digging in the earth was a nice break from working with the historical stuff. Back at it tomorrow, though.

Here's a picture of a man some of you may remember. He was a familiar figure parked alongside an open field in the summer, waiting for a woodchuck to appear. He spent lots of time driving slowly along the back roads, keeping a keen eye out for game - mostly woodchucks. He kept the 'chuck population down, and I guess hunted just about everything else that was legal during his lifetime. His name is Paul Cornell and he lived in Cabot. This photo was taken in 1989. Joe's Ponder Don Powell used to get a kick out of talking with Paul; I guess he was something of a character. Anyway, I found this photo among papers in a drawer at West Hill School yesterday. I don't have any idea how it happened to be there, but it will now have it's place in one of our albums, safely preserved. Happy hunting, Paul!

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...