Saturday, December 13, 2008


Today was a great picture-taking day - if you don't mind the cold. It was also one of those nose-pinching, lung-searing finger and toe numbing days when, if you weren't properly dressed you could be dangerously vulnerable to frost bite. I don't think it got much over four degrees above zero on the thermometer outside my office; right now it's already four below. The sky has been bright blue, for the most part, and the sun was bright but with no noticeable warmth to it. I took the ones on the right early this morning before the sun had made it over the treetops.

I dashed out long enough to mail some Christmas cards, but most of the
day was spent putting the finishing touches on a book I've just published for the Cabot Historical Society - "The Blodgett Papers." I think I've mentioned it before - Rev. Fred Blaney Blodgett (1874-1954) wrote at least two manuscripts that we know about, one "My Generation in Cabot" tells about his recollections, in 1952, of his home town; the second manuscript is "History of the Blodgett Family in America," and is a detailed account of his family, with genealogical connections. I'm happy that the book is finished and is now available in either hard cover or paperback.

There have been other family papers donated to our historica
l society that I may be able to preserve in the same way, and I'm constantly adding to the individual family files as I move through the collection. I think it's an interesting and useful way of preserving this information which would otherwise be carefully put away, the original papers being too delicate to be exposed to the light of day and handling. There is a great deal of history in Rev. Blodgett's manuscripts which would otherwise be lost. I have added family photos donated by one of his nieces, and added a few photos from the historical society's collection. The book is 168 pages.

Today was recycling day for us. Fred was gone most of the morning takin
g care of that and doing a few errands for one of our neighbors. He also took a few pictures along the way. The one on the right is of Upper Harrington Hill Rd. at the north end of Joe's Pond.

This afternoon I was pleased to find some very nice pictures from the Parizos of the ice-covered trees. I think I may have noticed the Parizos going by and then back down W. Shore Road as I was having a cup of tea and doing a sudoku puzzle a few hours ago. They listed the photos as follows:


DECEMBER ICE STORM 2008
NO1: BRICKETT'S CROSSING WINTER TREE JEWELS
NO2: FRED AND JANE BROWN'S HOUSE SNUG FOR THE WINTER WITH A WARM FIRE IN THE STOVE
NO 3: DOG AND IT'S DAD TAKING A WINTER RIDE

Thanks, George and Pat, for the very nice photos. At first I didn't recognize our house with the trees around it weighted down with ice. You are right, though, there has been a cozy fire burning brightly all day so we're very toasty. It's about time to turn on the Christmas lights in the living room, tune in some Christmas music, and settle by the fire to read the paper before supper.

It's been very quiet here all day. There has been almost no traffic on th
e road, the phone has rung only a couple of times, and Woody has slept most of the day after "helping" me make the bed first thing thing this morning (that always tuckers him out!)

Keep warm.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...