Saturday, December 20, 2008

The storm finally went by us a little after noon today and this afternoon has been absolutely beautiful. It's still cold - in the teens all day, and edging downward now the sun has gone down. We had a few hours of brilliant sunshine, enough to make everyone cheer up and get ready to face the next storm due in tomorrow. Fred says we probably got six to eight inches of snow, on top of whatever. There's plenty on the ground, and more than enough to shovel.

Last night before I closed down the computer, I had my scanner on and was listening to the road crews. It was after 11 o'clock and still snowing. They had been plowing and sanding all day and some of them had only had time out to grab a bite to eat and a cup of coffee. Usually there is a fair amount of banter going on over the airways between the crews, but last night I could tell they were tired. They were still out there, though, and some were taking a few hours to rest but would be out again by four this morning, back on duty. But the conversations were matter-of-fact and quiet, with no banter. While the rest of us were sleeping, those guys were still on the job, making it safe for people who had to travel in the night and early morning hours - or for emergency vehicles, should they need to go out.

Just now I'm hearing a call to emergency crews that there's a one-car roll over near the Walden fire station on Rt. 15. Walden Rescue is responding, also a fire engine. The accident is near Chris Bissell's house. Chris, of course, is a Walden fireman.

Our neighbors, Liz and John Randall stopped by to pick up the maple bed and we had a nice visit with them. We hadn't seen the Randalls for a while, but Liz always lets us know when they're arriving so we won't worry if we see activity at their place, thinking it's intruders. We look forward to seeing their lights through the trees and to hearing John on his tractor. They had been to Lyndonville and said they saw some accidents along the way, so I guess the roads are still not good.

The fire truck is on scene at the accident. There are other rescue vehicles arriving now. Apparently someone is hurt, but Walden Rescue has apparently taken the person to the Walden Fire Station and the Hardwick ambulance will meet them there. The State Police are on the way and probably they'll need a wrecker.

We are very fortunate to have our emergency crews in this area. Most of them are volunteer. I'm pretty sure Cabot, Walden and Danville are. Not sure about Hardwick but I think St. Johnsbury has a paid service. These people have to be dedicated public servants in any case. They are out all times of day and night, usually in the most severe weather.

Fred and I were busy today getting ready for the weatherization people who are coming on Monday. We had an audit done on the house a while back and, although the house is not that old (1963), the materials and building methods have changed immensely since my father built this place. I know he would be amazed at the new products and methods being used today, and he'd probably take an "I'll have to see it to believe it," attitude on some of the stuff, but we figured it might be a good thing to tighten the house up a bit. I think this may be a good winter to do it . . .

They will be here for a few days, so it will be hectic, I imagine. Already we've discovered we have a lot more "stuff" in the basement than we need, so a lot of it will have to go. I'm not going to put everything back in place until I've sorted through. I have linen table cloths I'm sure I'll never use - most aren't large enough for my big pine table, but I don't know who'd want them. Almost nobody uses table cloths any more, including me. I use place mats. I have too many of them, too. Trouble is, I don't like to toss things that are still good. I like recycling, though. My kids still laugh about the dresses I used to make from discarded drapes. Just call me Scarlet O'Hara. But I once needed a cocktail dress back in the days when we dressed up to go out to dinner or a house party. I made a very nice sheath out of some gold brocade curtains I'd had given to me but couldn't use. The dress is long gone, and I wouldn't be able to fit in it now anyway, but I still have some of that material left . . . I wonder if there's enough to make a scarf? I could put some fringe on . . . that would be festive, and I could wear it to the family Christmas Eve party! I bet the boys would recognize it! But darn, I'll never find it in the clutter now we've pulled everything away from the walls in the basement - it's in a drawer or a trunk somewhere and I won't be able to get to it until Wednesday, or maybe later if they don't finish up by Christmas Eve. I'll file that idea, though, and when I come across that material I'll keep it. No point throwing out something good.




No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...