Wednesday, October 29, 2008


We awoke to a black and white world this morning. Fred reports only a few inches of snow, but he's gone out to make a track on the driveway with the snow blower - the first real snow is always kind of exciting. I feel "tucked in" and secure with the fire blazing lazily in the soapstone, my gardening projects all finished, the wood piled high in the garage and more drying outside. Everything is suddenly quieter, like we'd just stepped into a library and there are only whispers allowed. Even the snow blower's rumble is muffled by the locked-down windows and storm doors now in place. The snow is sifting off the roof as gusts of wind whip out of the northwest.

I'm hearing on the scanner that roads are slippery in our area and road crews are busy taking care of icy spots. This will all be history by Thursday afternoon and Friday, with pretty nice weather over the weekend. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy our first real taste of winter here in the north country. I took pictures early this morning - from inside, through the windows, I hasten to add. Even though it's not that cold (30 degrees), I wasn't up for a jaunt in the snow before breakfast. MAYBE later . . .

I had an e-mail yesterday from Sue LaGue about coming out to camp last weekend when we had the heavy rain and wind going on. She also mentioned the plane crash in 1968 in which her father died. Here's what she wrote:
Jack and I went out during the days this past weekend to get more stuff
done. In Barre, we had a black out after 7PM. We were having a dinner
party at my brother's. It washttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Airlines_Flight_946 the 40th anniversary of my father's death
from the plane crash on Moose Mountain. My brother was interviewed by
the Valley News and National Life honored their former employees that
perished with a plaque. Anyway, it if you are interested its in the
Valley News out of White River I think. Then we came to Joe's Pond and
a power line was down, crossed the road by Walter's so we didn't dare
cross it and went down our driveway. A tree on West Shore Rd had broken
and cut the wire that goes to our road and then carries the power down
Sandy Beach Road. The Bouchards were there and Sue called it in. The
crew was there soon after we arrived and took care of it before the
Patriot's game, much to Jack's pleasure. So, the weather forecast for
another Wednesday is snow so we will see how tomorrow turns out. Take
care.
I found the following about that terrible accident: Valley News

For more about that crash, go to:Wikipedia

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...