Monday, April 14, 2008

Road Warning!
I took this picture yesterday about supper time. I could actually see some rainbow colors through the snow shower passing over the pond, but it didn't come out that way in the picture - you can imagine it, though, and it was very pretty, even serene, after our snowy day.

So yesterday I was telling everyone that West Shore Road was still pretty good and perhaps mud season wouldn't be too bad - that has all changed!! West Shore Rd. has several bad mud holes from our house to Rt. 2. A neighbor called me yesterday to find out if we'd been over it, but all I could tell her was that it was good when we walked on Saturday. Since we'd had cool weather and only snow, I thought it would still be ok. I don't know what changed it - Mother Nature, I suppose - maybe it was Sunday traffic, but it all went "to hell in a handbasket" seemingly overnight.

We had to go down to camp on an errand this morning and were we surprised! We met one of our neighbors as we were "riding the ridges" through the mud on our way home, and suspected she might have problems. We turned around and found her car sort of across the road in front of Mason's, front wheels in one set of ruts, rear wheels in a different set, but not totally mired. Fred drove her car the rest of the way to Rt. 2. We got home ok, but had be very careful. Unfortunately, traffic is using the top of Ken and Nancy Mason's driveway to get around that really bad spot. It happens every year there. Springs under the road in that area, I guess, combined with deep frost. Not a pretty sight.

I've called both Cabot and Danville road crews, but we know all the roads in both towns are the same and they have their work cut out for them this time of the year. Fred checked the road beyond us, going tow
ards Walden Heights, and that is still very good, so our neighbor who got stuck will be able to go home that way. Last report I had was that the road over the Plain to Cabot is very bad.

That's about it for the road report. UPS got through from Rt. 2 and said Danville is fixing their end . . . no sign of Cabot crew yet, but I'm sure they'll be here before the end of the day.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...