Sunday, April 27, 2008


The last of the ice was moving about on the pond today. This morning I took this picture of some 'bergs drifting into the marsh at the north end of the lake. There was a strong wind coming up the lake. This afternoon when I was out doing some yard work, the wind seemed to be more out of the northeast, but I couldn't be sure. Sometimes the hills around and in back of our house cause the wind to bounce a bit.

Things are sprouting in the flower beds, but everything is very compacted from being under so much heavy snow. Also, several of my small bushes and trees have been either split, flattened or completely broken, even though I was careful to stake them last fall. The stakes were broken, too. So today I pruned and propped, hoping to salvage some of them at least. Last fall I was thinking I'd take out the flowers that always need weeding and have only low shrubs and ornamental trees on the front lawn, but now I'm afraid that might not be such a good idea. I may resort to digging everything out and having only grass. Less work and no casualties. Even the hand rail on the steps up from the parking area in our drive took a hit. The spindles will all need to be re-set and the supporting top and bottom rails re-attached to the posts. The weight of the snow just ripped the nails out that held everything in place. The good news is most of the snow is gone and in a day or so I should be able to finish raking and mulching the flowers and the frost will be out so we can move the posts to work on the railing. The daffies at the end of our house are unscathed, and more are nearly ready to bloom along the walk. Some are still under that patch of snow, though.

Fred is back in the wood business, thinking already about having our 2010 supply brought this spring instead of waiting until fall. That way he'll be able to get it split and piled and give it a little extra time to dry this summer. The supply he got last fall will go into the garage this fall, dry and ready for winter, 2009.

I haven't been out to see how the road is today. Yesterday it was very bumpy where there had been muddy spots, and worse where the town dumped gravel in to fill the mud holes. Lots of traffic today, and a lot of them hit the bumps along our section of the road at top speed, so it would not be surprising if there are pieces of cars scattered along the road.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the newsletter and Evelyn will be ready to print within a day or so, so it should be in the mail very soon. Our Joe's Pond Association officers are drifting back; I understand George and Judy Anderson arrived today and Tom and Camilla Dente are expected Tuesday. The others will be arriving shortly, so the new season is about to begin.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...