Friday, December 28, 2007

Count-down to Ice-Out begins!

Last year at this time, if I remember correctly, the pond hadn't frozen over completely yet. It's well frozen this year and the ice fishermen have been out on the big pond this past week - I don't think many fish the smaller two sections of the pond. I don't have an ice depth for you yet, but I'm working on that.

The requests for Ice-Out tickets are coming in very regularly now - more each week. Diane and I will be monitoring sales in the W.Danville, Cabot, Walden, Danville and St. Johnsbury area, keeping our outlets supplied and picking up completed tickets. I check the mailbox at least once a week, and later on we'll check it more often.

Yesterday I had a ticket returned from a man in Massachusetts. The date of his pick had been filled in and then scribbled out and rewritten over where "Please Print Clearly" appears at the bottom of the ticket, just barely legible. At the top of the ticket he wrote "I can't think I'm Married." Now I ask you, what has being married got to do with thinking? Was the wife talking while he made out the ticket? Surely he had lots going on in his head while trying to negotiate setting down a winning pick. You gotta hope this guy has some luck here! He must have been frustrated in other ways as well, because he wrote plainly on the outside of the envelope, "Please do not ship me any ice."

Now you know how much fun it is to be involved in our Ice-Out Contest. This was just the "ticket" to add a chuckle to our day - Garey's, Mary's, Fred's and mine, and now, I hope, to yours, too.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...