Sunday, October 14, 2007

WE DIDN'T WAKE UP TO A WORLD OF WHITE!

We all feel pretty good today that the snow forecast as a possibility in "higher elevations" didn't amount to much. I've seen a few flakes off and on today, and when I look up the valley towards Walden it sometimes looks as if they are getting a snowstorm - but it probably has been mostly rain, just like here at the pond. I haven't been up to Cabot Plain - quite often it sticks there when it melts here at a slightly lower level.

Fred just went out and snapped a few pictures for me. Above you'll see the threatening sky looking north from our deck. Across the pond onto Route 15, you can see how the treetops on the upper levels are pretty bare, but in the protected areas like down the road from our house on W. Shore Rd., the leaves are still nice.


I took this photo yesterday on my way to Cabot. Again, from the cemetery on the plain. There were lots of clouds, and there were patterns of sun and shadows that were beautiful. I just took one quick shot, so there may have been a better one if I'd been able to wait a bit, but I couldn't wait . . .

Last week, I think it was Thursday, Diane Rossi came by to bring me more ice-out tickets. As she left she pointed out some scat on the walkway. At first glance I thought, "Bear," but when I looked more carefully, it wasn't quite right - not enough and not the right configuration. (Ok, so I'm interested in that kind of stuff!) I guessed it was either a raccoon or a skunk. Today I checked my resources (yes, I have books on that kind of stuff!) and now I'm sure it was a skunk. That could account for the fact that our cat, Woody, has been staying inside more. Usually he is gone from before dark until sometimes the wee hours of the morning, and quite often will come in only to have a snack, a drink of water and then is gone again for hours. However, early in the spring, he connected with a skunk. It was a really horrible experience for him AND for us! He came bolting in from outside and raced for the living room, but fortunately we smelled him in time and got hold of him before he had a chance to roll on the carpet or one of the upholstered chairs. He got an immediate bath and except for a little residual stink for about a month, he was fine. I think he may have learned an important lesson, though. Those big black and white striped kitties don't fight fair! Fall, like spring, is when those crafty little potential stink bombs are more likely to be on the prowl at night, and perhaps Woody is smart enough now to prefer a nap to a scrap. We can only hope. He does not tolerate intruders into his territory, though, but big as he is, we think he may not be much of a fighter - more bluff than buff. He has come home on several occasions with small dings - a bloody leg, a small spot on his ear that resulted in a tiny hole just right for an earring, and just recently a nick under his chin. He's big and fast on his feet, and we can only hope smart enough to stay out of real trouble.

I wanted everyone to know we still have leaves in spots, no snow, but that will change soon, I'm sure. We're hearing and seeing hunters now - ducks, partridges, rabbits and bow season for deer. There will be moose and bear hunting soon, and hunting deer with guns. Great for the hunters, but not much fun for our wildlife and some of us humans.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...