Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Water Skiing On Joe's Pond
by Devin Hebert

It was a perfect day for water skiing. The pond was calm, smooth and silent. For years my family had been coming to this pond for the summer. This day was going to be another memory of our special camp.

The motor started. Gramma yelled, "Are you ready?"

"Yes," I screamed back. The motor roared, "vroom!" The boat jerked me up. I tugged the rope thinking, please don't let me fall. I was flying across the water. Bump! Bump! Bump! Bump! I cheered, "Woohoo!"

I was going confidently when suddenly, SPLASH. I accidentally let go of the rope to rub my eyes. Whoah! I felt like I was falling through ice. I floated up. "Brrrrr," I muttered. The boat floated near.

"Good job!" my dad said.

I asked, "Can I go again?"

"Yes," my dad replied. So I jumped out of the boat. I felt like I was a frog going to his family on shore. I put my water skis back on as the motor roared to life. I knew I was ready. The boat tugged like I was in a tug of war. I went around the lake without falling and then decided to let go.

So when I'm at home and the snow is waist deep, I can close my eyes and I am water skiing on Joe's Pond.
THE END.

Written by Pam and Joe Hebert's grandson, Devin, age eight, in February, 2007.


Many thanks to Pam Hebert for sending the above story to me. I know there are lots of youngsters, and maybe even more "oldsters" who have fond memories of good times at Joe's Pond, just like Devin does. I'd like to hear your stories, poems, or favorite memories. Perhaps we'll start a "Memory Page" on the web site!

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...