Saturday, April 21, 2007

I had an e-mail from Walter Ruf in Florida yesterday. Here's what he said:

Warning, I just got a pop up from SYSTEMS DOCTOR! I thought it was from MC Affee, so I opened it and they wanted money to eliminate a number of viruses? I decided that there was a problem and tried to erase the pop up. That did not work and my cp crashed! 300 green ones later I had my cp fixed. I was told that it is very difficult to get rid of such popups. So be careful!

We went to McAfee and had this conversation with techie Mitchell Day in their chat room:

Mitchell Day: SystemDoctor is a rogue spyware application that gets installed by Spyware/malware without asking for permission. This infection can also be accompanied by other malware that changes your desktop background to a fake warning or by Trojans that issue fake taskbar security alerts.
Fred Brown:
Does our McAfee anti-virus protect us?
Mitchell Day:
Yes, if your McAfee is fully updated.


We thank Walter for the warning, and McAfee for the advice. As Walter says, please be careful!

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...