Wednesday, June 21, 2006


On Courtesy, Safety and Obeying the Law

I received the following e-mail from Bob Sargent, a member of the family group that has owned Indian Joe's Island ( the small one) at Joe's Pond for many years - (Click on photo to enlarge image.)

Hi Jane,
My concern is the speed at which power boats and jet skis travel when close to shore, swimmers, docks, etc. I just got off the phone with the State Police who informed me that it is STATE LAW that boats will not travel above 5 mph or more than wake speed when closer than 200 feet from shore, docks, swimmers, etc. At the north end of Joe's Pond (the big pond), there are two islands: the smaller one is called Indian Joe's and the other the Big Island. Between the smaller island and the western shore there may be 2-300 feet; between the smaller island and the north shore is about the same; between the smaller island and the bigger island there may be 200 feet. I may be off a bit in the footage since I don't have a tape measure that long or one that floats. If I am anywhere near accurate, by law, boats should not travel between the western shore and the smaller island, nor the smaller island and the north shore, nor the smaller island and the bigger island AT MORE THAN 5 mph. Even if I am wrong in the footage, the channel between the shore's 200 foot limit, and the island's 200 foot limit would be very narrow. Needless to say, there are no markers to mark these channels, if they even exist; and also needless to say, many people driving power boats either do not know this law, cannot measure distances, or just don't care.
I have seen boats speed as close as 30 feet to shore, especially jet skis whose drivers appear only to care about speed. I have also seen swimmers in the water almost that close. It is also a favorite area for kayakers (is that a word?) and canoe'ers around both islands and on the way to the channel. Some power boaters do not seem to care how close or fast they come to them.
Not only is excess speed in these situations dangerous, it is against the law. Does any law enforcement agency ever monitor Joe's Pond? I also need to say that not all power boat people ignore this law, but the great majority that I have witnessed, do. And the largest number are jet skiers.
So what can be done about it? Probably not too much unless the state police take notice, except to draw this to people's attention in the hope that either they were unaware of this law (although I believe it is in the Joe's Pond handbook as a "recommendation"), or that they will begin to be more responsible.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Sincerely,
Bob Sargent


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...