Saturday, April 08, 2006


THE ICE IS STILL WITH US

We don't have much to report. The ice doesn't seem to be melting, but I'm sure it is. More water is showing through the narrows between the ponds and in the channel. The weather has been unusually cool - good for sap runs, maybe, but not much else. Our roads are still slick with mud or snow or black ice. There were a couple of mishaps on Rt. 2 in W. Danville this morning in the area of Point Comfort. The moisture from the open water collects and freezes on the pavement making it very dangerous for unsuspecting drivers. There are plenty of potholes and bumps to slow most folks down, but sometimes those become the culprits that send a car spinning out of control.

On the plus side, we're nearly ready with the Joe's Pond Association newsletter, spring 2006 edition. We're in a holding pattern until the ice goes out and we can publish the name of the winner of the contest. I can tell you that another record was set with ticket sales, so the contest winner will receive a good sized check.

We have recently posted some new pictures to the web site. Go to "Photo Gallery" where you'll find some recent snow and mud shots along with some previously unpublished spring-like scenes from our area - wishful thinking shots, I call 'em. I searched my files for the above flower picture taken last year - nothing like this poking through the snow here yet, but I think it's a cheerful picture and is a hopeful reminder that spring's coming. Think daffodils!

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...