Sunday, April 09, 2006

A Beautiful Day at Joe's Pond

It's been a very nice day here, although still on the cool side. I've had several inquiries as to whether the ice has gone out yet or not, and of course it hasn't. I do have some pretty reliable information though. I heard from Chico Carcoba (he's the computer guru that logs in your tickets so we can quickly find the winner when the clock stops!), and he tells me that historically the ice in Joe's Pond goes out about a week or 10 days after it goes out at Woodbury where he has a cottage. Chico was at his cottage this weekend and predicts the ice will be gone there on Tuesday, and he further predicts with some certainty that it will go out here at Joe's Pond on the 18th (or maybe the 19th or 20th). Those of you who travel Rt. 2 past Molly's Pond here in Cabot, know that the ice there goes out almost exactly one week before Joe's. Although I think last year that wasn't the case. Anyway, we try to give you all the latest information so you can try to predict if your guess will be the winning one. Good luck.

We do have some really interesting information, though. Jane Larrabee told me Saturday that she's had a call from the New York Times saying they want to send a reporter up to do a story on the Ice-Out Contest. She was waiting to hear when the reporter might be here, but hadn't any word yet. Wouldn't it be way cool if he/she was here on the day the ice actually went out!?
It's pretty cool that a big newspaper like the Times wants to do a story on us anyway! We will try to keep you posted. Stay tuned.

By the way, if you're wondering if Chico is in the game, he isn't, and neither am I.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...