Thursday, December 13, 2018

We had an unusual experience this afternoon when Bourne's came to deliver fuel. Our driveway has been fine - no large amount of ice although it has been crispy underneath. The truck backed up as usual. I didn't hear him leave, so got up to look out the kitchen window and there was the truck headed down over the bank part way down our driveway!! Now, this isn't the first time we've had a runaway fuel truck on this driveway. It happened years ago when my parents lived here - pretty much the same thing except I think the driver had to call a wrecker that time. 
     I called to Fred who was busy in the other end of the house and had no idea what was happening. I went out and called to the driver who by then was part way down the driveway, the hose still extended up towards the house. I asked what happened and he said the truck just started sliding. Fortunately, he had finished and shut off the hose and was getting ready to reel it in when he said first thing he knew it pulled out of his hand and he saw the truck moving down the driveway. He looked the situation over and called his office to let them know his situation. Then he told me he was going to "try to drive it out." He said if he couldn't, the office would send a wrecker .
     We have had that experience, too. My eighty-something father once went too far off the end of the driveway and while Fred and I were trying to shovel him out, he called out to us saying, "Just stand back, I think I can drive it right down over the hill." And he did. Slick as a whistle, down over the steep bank and onto the road. The ditch wasn't as deep then, and that year we didn't have nearly as much snow as we had this time - but same scenario.
     I told the driver about the deep ditch that is along that side of the road now, and off he went. He waded into the snow, got in the truck and gunned it. He made it almost onto the road - the two front wheels were on the road, but the left rear wheel was caught in the deep snow that was part ditch, part snowbank from the plow.
     He got out his shovel and went to work, and a few minutes later he was out and onto the road. He churned up some mud out of the ditch, but somehow got that hulking oil truck out of there - no harm done. He looked under the thing to be sure it was ok and off he went.
     I later went out and took pictures of the spot. The truck went over one or two of the little maples we have growing along the roadside, but I don't think it harmed them much. I'll look more closely tomorrow, but other than maybe some skinned bark, I think they will be ok. 
     We were really impressed with the driver's ability to get himself out of a pickle like he did. It took nerve and skill to get out of such a predicament.
     Bourne's will let us know when there's going to be a delivery next time so we can salt or sand the driveway if needed. Our driveway has caught more than one driver off guard - myself included. I've found myself off one side or the other in a snow bank once or twice; Billy Rossi had to have a wrecker haul him out one time, and more than once we've had to shovel and push someone out of the snow - most of these times it has been when the driver didn't have enough momentum and traction to make the hill and had to back down. That's the tricky part - getting too far off on one side of the other when backing. Today the truck just took off front first, sliding. Of course we took pictures!!










No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...