I received this message from Jenny Gelfen yesterday:
Jane --

Last Saturday we had a
most unusual visitor on Joe's Pond: a beautiful small boat driven by a
wood-fired steam engine complete with a whistle. I couldn't paddle fast
enough to reach it before it motored away. The Sembrebons got these
pictures. That is truly an unusual sight. I can't imagine being out on the water under the broiling sun with a wood-fired boiler to tend to! That must have been a hot ride, but whoever it was seemed to be enjoying the fun and that is a very trim vessel! I tried to make out the registration number or find name on the boat, but didn't have any success. I'm sure someone on the pond (or seeing this!) will know who these people are. I would love to know, so shoot me an email.
Steamers were common years ago - Joe's Pond had at least one that made regular trips around the pond delivering passengers about every two hours. It was called the Mineola and was docked at a small boathouse near West Danville train station in about 1899. Train passengers could take the steamer to various destinations on the pond such as Flint's Park to spend a day fishing or swimming and return by steamer to take the train back home in the late afternoon. You can find more information on page 18 of West Danville, Vermont Then and Now, 1781-2021. Don't have a copy? Let me know, or stop at the Danville Historical Society to pick one up. It's a very complete history of West Danville and Joe's Pond and includes solid information about surrounding communities such as Cabot, Walden, and Danville. Lots of photos and it is well indexed. Every home on Joe's Pond should have a copy!
Stay cool and enjoy the weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment