As September nears, we are feeling change in the air and noticing a few leaves withering or turning color, grass is growing more slowly, and there's an aroma of autumn in the air - a combination of over-ripe apples and dried earth - or maybe that's just at my house where I really look forward to some rain to fill my pond, and have apples decaying under the old tree near my porch.
Yesterday I sat on the porch and watched leaves floating gently from the trees on my lawn. There was an occasional thud when another apple detached and hit the ground. This morning as I sat in my chair with my coffee I realized I'm beginning to see more of the road below my house through diminishing leaves on the maples and lilac bushes along the front walkway. We haven't had a lot of wind in the past several days, but growing season is definitely closing and trees are getting ready for winter.
Weather forecasters predicted "occasional showers" today, but nothing substantial. Apparently at 6:30 this morning there was a shower southwest of us and Nancy Buttura got this great shot of the rainbows it produced. If you look closely you will see there is a second rainbow just beyond the main one. Thank you, Nancy - this is a really nice shot.This message came from JPA Secretary Jamie Stewart this morning - a report on the pot-luck dinner held last night to honor all the people who have been working diligently to combat milfoil. Such a nice thing to do! And I heard it was a huge success and everyone had a great time with lots of wonderful food and comradery.
Jamie's report:

No comments:
Post a Comment