Thursday, November 09, 2023

Winterizing and Window Woes

 This morning I replaced the broom I used to sweep leaves off the deck with my trusty snow shovel. I measured two inches of snow this morning, and more fell during the day. The temperature remained in the upper 20s all day and there was no sun to encourage melting. I was only outside long enough to clear the snow off the deck and get measurements to send to CoCoRaHS. It has not been a day I wanted to be outside.

I thought about putting my cleats on my winter boots so I could go for the mail, but then decided the snow might melt from the blacktop driveway by late afternoon. I hasn't, but there is nothing important waiting for me in the mailbox anyway. Recently I began using the USPS service that send me an email of what's going to be delivered that day. It is great. I'm saved from a sometimes dangerous, wet or cold trip down my driveway if I see there is only junk mail waiting for me.

The Stewarts left for Florida earlier this week and on their way they visited Jaf and Peace Baxter who were their neighbors here until a couple years ago when they sold their property on North Shore Road.  Joanne sent this picture, and I am pleased that they both look as young and vigorous as ever. Joanne said the Baxters were pleased to catch up on Joe's Pond news and sent greetings to their Joe's Pond friends. In the photo, left to right, Jamie, Joanne, Peace and Jaf. Thank you, Joanne.

Some of you know that I got involved in another very large and complicated project earlier this summer. Last year I decided I would like to have stairs to reach the loft over my garage. The only way to reach that storage area was by a short ladder from the stoop by my kitchen door. That's dandy when one is young and agile, but downright dangerous at my age. I could still navigate them just fine, but backing up to that ledge where the ladder rested and coming down was always a bit scary and I often visualized what a bumpy ride it would be if I lost my footing and tumbled down the ladder and then down the five or six more steps onto the concrete.

In order to have the stairs fit into the garage, I had to move a woodpile, and that revealed serious problems in the back foundation wall of the garage, the floor had dropped about 10-12 inches, and that had cracked the floor and the side wall, so everything had to be replaced. What with bad weather, waiting for materials, and scheduling contractors, the project that began in mid-July has lasted almost exactly four months. But wait - it still isn't quite finished. I decided as long as things were torn apart it would be a good time to have an awning style window installed up there for better ventilation. No problem, the window was put in on Tuesday.

I got my Covid booster shot on Monday and Tuesday was what I call a "blah day," with a reaction to the shot I hadn't expected. My arm was very sore and I had a variety of aches and pains that kept me very quiet, so I didn't really pay much attention to the window getting installed. Early Wednesday morning I had to go to Berlin for my eye shots, but in the afternoon I finally went to inspect my new window. It was perfect - good size, neat, and I could almost see Jamie and Marie's house right from my kitchen door! I loved it. However, on close inspection, it wasn't an awning style window (hinged at the top) - it's hinged at the side.  I was so disappointed. Of course these things happen all the time; I know that. I also know it will be fixed and I'll have a nice awning window with a screen up there and I'll be able to leave it open all summer to vent that very hot space without worrying about rain, bats, or birds getting in. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the one that's a mistake. I'm hoping the weather will warm up a tad so I can work up in the loft a little before full winter sets in. I intend to plant a lawn chair by the window so I can sit comfortably, sort "stuff," and enjoy the view! 

One thing I'm certain of is that I'm not going to have any big project going on next summer, although I have to admit I've been very fortunate to have all really nice people working on all my projects - the pond, the porch, and now the garage. I have enjoyed getting to know all of them - Ben Ackermann who dug my pond; Randy Chamberlain who built my porch; Lloyd Rowell who did some plumbing; Lyle Gadapee who did some electrical work; and Larry Rossi's crew for the garage work. We are very fortunate to have reliable, very likeable, reasonable people in our area. They were all congenial, respectful, and competent, and I actually enjoyed having them around - although I tried to stay out of their way, I did enjoy watching the progress on all of these jobs. I expect that is because my dad was a carpenter and I grew up helping him build stuff on the farm. Now I will settle in for a quiet winter and will try not to come up with another project that will have the place torn up again next summer!

Drive carefully - if you are in the north country, engage your winter driving skills! Slow down and allow a little extra time to get wherever you need to be. And wear winter tires! They make a heap of difference! All-Season tires are fine where there isn't much snow and/or ice, but here in the snow region winter treads are a huge help, and if you have really bad roads to navigate, studded tires are a big help. Be safe!



No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...