Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Spitting Snow & Mud Season

 I woke up cold last night, which doesn't often happen. When I got up to close the window, I could see that the ground had patches of white where there was snow. We had snow flurries most of the day yesterday, but at no time did the watery flakes stick to any surface. I forgot to check the temperature before I went to bed. If I had, I probably wouldn't have opened the window as much. The good news is that by the time I got up this morning, most of the snow was gone and the temperature was around 37 degrees, but we are still getting snow flurries from time to time.

I'm not sure last night was cold enough to freeze anything, but the roads may have firmed up a bit. From all reports (and I had several!) dirt roads in any direction in our area are really bad all of a sudden. Not surprising, really. We had some very warm days last week, and that tends to make soup out of frozen roads. 

Tim, my mailman, gets through with his big 4-wheel drive Jeep, but he isn't a happy traveler. I haven't talked to him personally, but several neighbors have reported that at every stop, he doesn't hesitate to let them know he's had it with mud season. Our road isn't an exception.  One neighbor found herself in mud up to her car doors coming home from work Monday night on the road from Cabot to the Plain. She said she was mired, couldn't move a wheel, and it felt like the car was sinking further into the mud by the minute. Brickett's Crossing Road has been pretty good, but with more people using that to avoid Cabot Plains Road, now there are bad spots breaking out going that way, too. 

I had planned on going to Cabot Village to hear another author presentation at the library, but decided not to press my luck "riding the ridges" down there and back, especially since it would be dark on the way home. I have to go out for a few groceries before the weekend, but I'm hoping by then the way to Route 2 will be ok. I'm sure I could get out if I absolutely had to, the worst spot is the hill by Underwood's, Dudley's and Talbot's, but I prefer not to pound my car through that unless I have to. There's very little traffic, and that's a good thing.


No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...