Friday, August 12, 2022

Work in Progress

 I'm working on a solution to my readers not being able to subscribe to my blog, but that means I'm having to learn as I go, so it may be a while before the new site is up and running smoothly. I'm being positive about it - but, it's a challenge!

In the meantime, I have beautiful photos from Mary Whitcomb, and also some news about the recent Pitch Party at the Joe's Pond pavilion. Here are the Pitch winners - Louis Cassani (left) was winner for the three games. Susan Yesalonia (right) was winner for the evening. Below, the whole group of happy Pitch Players!


I have had the privilege of posting beautiful photos from Mary Whitcomb for many years. Mary first contacted me when I began this blog, whatever year that was (!) with a very nice introduction, to let me know I'd made an error on the blog. I've forgotten what it was - perhaps I spelled something wrong or gave wrong information. Anyway, we have remained friends ever since, and although we've never actually met in person, I consider Mary a good friend. She loves to explore nature and always has her camera with her, and that has often resulted in some beautiful photos for me to post. Here are more, taken at her home where she's an avid bird watcher and photographer, and at one of her favorite spots, the Whales Tails near I-89 in Randolph. Some of you will remember that the original sculptures were moved to a spot near I-89 in South Burlington; and a few years ago, replicas were put back at the original site in Randolph. It is these sculptures that Mary photographed this past week, along with some wildlife found ear her home.

 Here you see the Whales' Tails just at sundown. There is a park area there and I expect many people enjoy watching the sun go down (or come up) from that spot, just as Mary does. I don't often go that way, but I remember being very impressed with the statues when they were first installed; and when they were moved to South Burlington, I felt the loss. For me, even though I saw them more frequently in that location, they were out of place. I was happy when I learned they were being replicated by the artist and reinstalled at the original location. I'll give you a brief history: The sculpture was created by Jim Sardonis in 1989, and is named
Reverence" - meant to symbolize the fragility of the planet. The original was large, about 12 feet tall, made of African black granite, and remained in place in Randolph for a decade.

Many people missed the sculpture, and in 2019, Sardonis was commissioned to create another sculpture, "Whale Dance," made of bronze. Sardonis told Seven Days reporter Bridget Higdon in 2019 that working in bronze meant he could bend the sculpture in ways he was not able to do with the granite, and he could "make them dance." Through the efforts of Preservation Trust of Vermont, the Vermont Community Foundation, and local donations, Randolph got their sculpture back in 2019. It took about three years to negotiate buying the land back from the owner, Jesse Sammis, who had intended to build a hotel, welcome center and residential complex on the site. Now, even though whales may seem out of place so far from the ocean, in a very rural section of Vermont, but they bring joy to many, many people. 

I read a comment written by a woman saying how much she enjoyed seeing the sculpture lighted during the holidays. She wished they might be lighted throughout the year, giving some hopefulness in troubled times. I think that is a wonderful idea - solar lights, perhaps? I wonder how Mary and her neighbors would feel about that.

And here is the last photo by Mary Whitcomb - mating butterflies. Another hopeful sign.












No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...