Friday, May 27, 2022

Mellow Evening

 For the moment, the air is very mellow and quite still. It is likely the calm before the storm, but I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts. I was outside for a bit but the black flies drove me in again. I didn't want to bother to use bug spray, so did what I had to do as quickly as possible and got back inside. They are so irritating.

Please remember that tomorrow (Saturday) is Joe's Pond Association's Spring Meeting - at 10 o'clock at the pavilion. I'll be there with some copies of "West Danville, Vermont, Then and Now, 1781-2021" in case you don't have your copy yet. The cost is $45. I will also be at the "Destination Danville" event on Sunday - with books, and middle son, Bob. 

Andy Rudin has a few wire supports for tomato plants he'd like to get rid of. Give him a call at 802-684-3876, or stop by. He's at 403 Old Homestead.

Last evening, Patty Conly and I were at the Waterford library to talk about our book. It was a very small group, but they were enthusiastic, and we sold some books! The library is a very nice, relaxing space. It is small, but well stocked and has a nice atmosphere. We enjoyed being there and thank Kandice  Barrett, librarian, for inviting us. We were surprised at some of the connections people made to people they knew that are mentioned in the book, or places we talked about. It was a very enjoyable evening.

My lilacs are now in full bloom as the apple trees are getting a little past peak. The fragrant air wafts into the house and is very pleasant. It is nice on my porch with the chorus of bird songs and soft, sweet-scented air. When I was growing up my favorite fragrance was lily-of-the-valley. I still appreciate those delicately scented little flowers, and I now have a lot of it growing helter-skelter in flower beds. I also have forget-me-nots in the back yard, mixed in with mint; both bring back strong memories of my childhood. I also have lovage next to my rhubarb. I especially enjoy the pungent odor of lovage and use it in salads all summer. I sometimes use stocks of lovage leaves with cut flowers, too. And it's great as garnish on cold meat platters and potato salad. Mary Encarnacion gave the plant to me many years ago and I think of her every time I cut some. It is a hardy perennial and by the end of summer is very high and has huge plumes of tiny cream-colored flowers; but after it goes to seed, I don't bother to use the leaves anymore. It's best when it's first up in the spring. I have dried the leaves and used them all winter as seasoning. I have to remember to cut and dry the young stalks, though - they are more pungent, dry and crush better, and keep their flavor longer.

My rhubarb is doing coming along. It got well weeded, transplanted and fertilized last year, and has come back quite well. I think there may be enough for some sauce or maybe even a pie. I haven't picked any yet, but I will soon. 

Right now, I need to go out onto the porch and check the weather. There must be some storm clouds out there somewhere - the last forecast I saw was this morning and I thought this afternoon was going to be rainy and windy. So far that hasn't happened. We do need the rain, though. I expect we'll get it later tonight and into tomorrow. Stay safe and enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...