Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Let it Snow!

We had snow flurries off and on most of today - and some of it stuck for a while! It was quite raw and cold, but we cannot complain, it is November, after all. I took this picture from shortly after noon today. I had been out earlier, before the snow was sticking to the grass, but plodding in snow didn't really appeal to me, so I got the best shot I could through the window and stayed warm and dry.

Later on, I went to the Danville Historical Society where I worked with Patty and Debby to finish proofing the index for our book. It was interesting that in West Danville and beyond towards Danville, the snow was not sticking to the ground. Not at all like at my house, a few feet higher in altitude.

We finished working on the index a little before six o'clock. Both Patty and Debby had been working there all day on other things, and I was only there for about four hours. By the time I left, they were really tired, and I was anxious to get home as well. We are very happy that we got it done, though. The manuscript is now  formatted for the printer and we have been instructed (by our editor) to go through it to pick up any obvious glitches, but we don't expect to pick up on much at all. We should have it back to them (editor and designer) with any comments within a couple of days - probably by the end of the week, and they will send it off. We have been told to expect printing to take about two weeks, so it could be ready for distribution just before Thanksgiving. 

I don't think there was snow on the ground when I got home a little after six o'clock, but it was pretty dark and I wasn't paying that much attention. Tomorrow will probably be another busy day - it seems every day brings some new challenge or interesting diversion; and that is good. Next week is supposed to warm up a bit and I have summer furniture to put away and a few other odd jobs that I've put off, hoping for another warm spell.

I got my booster shot yesterday. It's wonderful that youngsters can now get vaccinated - the virus has been hitting young children frequently, along with unvaccinated adults, especially in the Northeast Kingdom. Part of the problem with adults not getting the shots has apparently been easy access. Much of the Kingdom is very rural and it is difficult for people to get into a town where shots were being given, so now there are pop-up sites at schools, churches, country stores or people can even ask for someone to come to give vaccinate them at their home. Anyone interested in where or how to get the shots should go to the Vermont Department of Health website. You will find instructions, phone numbers, email access there, and can even make an appointment on line. I did that as soon as the booster shots were available for my age group, got an appointment within a few days, with no problem at all. I noticed my arm was a little tender once or twice today, but nothing serious, and I have to say, none of the three shots were difficult in any way. I told the pharmacist at Kinney's who gave it to me I've had mosquito bites that were more painful. The needles they use are so tiny, all you feel is a little pick. And I had no after effects at all. So if  you've been reluctant to get the shot, just go for it! It may be a while before this virus is eliminated - if it ever is, and it's better to have the shot so if you do get sick, you are not likely to land in the hospital or worse. Stay healthy and safe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Jane; Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" for your blog. I loved watching the progress on your porch. and pond. I think you should plant some lilacs next to the pond so that when you sit out there next Spring you can see them reflected in the pond. I'm sure that would be glorious. Even though I will not be able to live in Vermont, I do so enjoy following your blog, and just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your work and devotion to your readers. Stay warm. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving w2ith your family. Sincerely, Dulcie Burns
P.S. Hope there are not too many typos. Macular degera
tion in one eye makes this gray small print hard to proof.

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...