Monday, September 27, 2021

Changes in the Seasons

 We are getting some pretty cool nights lately, so when I heard Gary Sadowsky mention today that there may be snow flurries in store for the "higher elevations," I decided it was time to pull my house plants off the porch. It was not something I was very happy about - it seems as if I just got them located out there - but each night I've been a little concerned when the temperature got into the 40s, and they will be happier inside now.

Looking out on the hillside, there is more blush showing, and there is an occasional burst of really vivid color; but the trees are holding their leaves, for the most part. I'm getting some in my pond, but that's expected - especially from those that probably had their roots tickled a few weeks back when Ben was excavating for the pond, so they may be a bit stressed.

The pond was filling nicely until Friday when I noticed the stream from the well that is helping to fill it seemed to be getting smaller. Then, on Sunday morning, it had stopped altogether. I thought that the recent rain would have replenished the water supply, but I guess the ground was so dry what little rain we got had no effect on the water table at all. 

Jamie checked it out for me and found the spring is low, so we turned off the pipe leading into the pond and will let the spring build up again. I don't think there is a lot of rain forecast for the near future, but even a little bit here and there would help. In the meantime, I already have some resident frogs in the pond - something I am very happy about, and look forward to hearing them sing next spring. I haven't decided if I'll put any fish in the pond or not - I've had advice both ways, but first I have to get it filled to capacity; then I will think seriously about what I want living in it. Maybe some pond lilies . . .? Wild rice?

The wind we had on Thursday apparently took down a couple of small trees - probably because the ground is so dry the roots didn't have much of a grip. The older trees have deeper roots and wouldn't be as vulnerable. The two that came down were sort of scrubs and won't be missed. That was a pretty serious wind on Thursday and into Friday. Today is mostly cloudy so far, and kind of dismal.

There has been quite a bit of interest in the West Danville history book, West Danville, Vermont Then and Now 1781-2021. Those that have seen it have remarked about the cover, which is a drone shot of the pond and village. It wasn't an easy shot to get - it took Nate Somers some time to get several images at just the right time of day so they could be put together to fit the cover format. He's a pro, and did a great job. 

The morning is flying by and I haven't been outside to do any of the little chores I had intended to. Those will wait until after lunch, I guess. In the meantime, the plants (a couple of palms an avacado tree I raised from a pit, and a Norfolk pine that is pretty ugly, are inside and safe. And yes, I keep even the ugly plants around. They are familiar, and now every plant is beautiful to look at, but each one has meaning to me.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...