Sunday, September 19, 2021

Beauty at Joe's Pond

 This beautiful shot came this morning from Gretchen Farnsworth. It was taken early this morning and you will notice the eagle is perched atop the tallest spruce tree. I expect he/she was waiting for the mist to clear in order to find breakfast! Here's what Gretchen wrote:

Eagles are majestic birds - I just wish they played well with others.

That is so true. This bird, along with a pal, is believed to have taken our loon chicks this year. This has happened in the past, but as I've said before, there really isn't much we humans can do to prevent this from happening. It's just survival of the fittest. The eagle seems to come back every year, so this is probably a good hunting ground for them.

Thanks for the photo, Gretchen. it's gorgeous. Our "golden pond."

I've heard via the grapevine that we've had quite a bit of buying and selling properties going on. We posted the Segale cottage a few days ago, and I just learned that Tom Segale's brothers have purchased cottages. I'm not quite clear on the details, but I understand that the Baxter cottages are involved. It's wonderful that the Segale family enjoys Joe's Pond so much, and we welcome them.

It's also my understanding that the Rubalcaba family will be erecting a year around home on their old site on Barre Avenue. That will be nice to see. They aren't that far from West Shore Road, so it should be fairly easy to keep it plowed out in the winter. I'm sure Shelly Walker will welcome another light close by during those long winter evenings.

I expect there are other exchanges I haven't heard about. Now that I'm no longer secretary at JPA, I'm kind of out of the loop unless I happen to talk with someone or someone emails me to let me know what's happening. 

Used to be people could feel comfortable meeting at the local store to get all the news and gossip - or we got together in groups frequently over wine and/or dinner, but with Covid raging again, those things are only done with the utmost caution, especially by us older folks. We are very aware of the hazards unvaccinated individuals create. I still don't understand the mindset of these people, especially when I see state governors on the news blaming the government for taking away their rights by mandating certain people be vaccinated in order to work and/or deal with the public. I have to wonder exactly who they think is to blame for the disease spreading and taking so many lives. 

We are fortunate to live in Vermont - but even though we lead the nation in people vaccinated per capita, there are still a few holdouts. I really believe Vermonters are more sensible and sensitive than most, and the people who have been hesitant are beginning to see the benefit of getting the shots and will do so. If not for themselves, to protect young children and others who are vulnerable. We may be hicks, but we do care about each other, and eventually the holdouts will do the right thing and roll up their sleeves.

Take care - of yourselves and your loved ones. Enjoy the beautiful weather, and be safe.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...