Monday, July 26, 2021

Reminders of Upcoming Celebrations, and Past Occurrances

Please remember that a Memorial Service for Bill Rossi will be held at the Joe's Pond Association pavilion this Wednesday, July 28, 2021, from 4 to 6 p.m. Friends and family are all welcome.

The annual Pig Roast is at the JPA pavilion on August 7, with a social hour plus at 5 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. Contact Mary Anne Cassani at 684-2195 or Bo Keach at 684-3673 to reserve your ticket.

The annual Cocktail Party will be held on August 21 from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This is a very special party because it is Joe's Pond Association's 100th birthday! There will be more about that at a later time, but the Board hopes for an especially good turnout of JPA members and friends from the community and beyond. Mark your calendar and plan to stop by.

Saturday night's Italian Dinner was a huge success. There were lots of people there and everyone had a great time. Shelly Walker and I went together - Henretta Splain was supposed to go with us, but she had to bow out last minute, so she got "take out" and that worked perfectly for her. The crews that manage these dinners are very willing to accommodate special needs when asked. They assist in finding vacant spots at tables, and make sure everyone is taken care of properly. The cooks for Saturday's meal are pictured here:  From left to right, Joey Calcagni, Steve Larrabee, Joe Hebert, Butch Bouchard, Couie Cassani and Jamie Stewart. Larry Rossi and Michelle Parker (below) took care of the sauce, and it was excellent. Thanks to JPA Secretarial Assistant, Joanne Stewart, for the photos.

After a good rain storm in the morning, the weather cleared for the 2nd Sunfish Sailboat race for 2021.  It was another typical day of sailing on Joe's Pond with shifting winds.
 
The results for race were:
Single Division
  1. Billy Hamilton (pictured on the right)
  2. Jay Chatot
  3. Jules Chatot
  4. Nick Wood
Double Division
  1. Lee Erdmann with granddaughter Ava McCann (pictured right)

I don't know if everyone had rain last night, but I measured .18 inches this morning. I have noticed there has been a lot of smoke in the air today - the forest fires out west are still out of control and that is the smoke we are seeing and smelling here. There will probably be some rain tonight, and that may clean the air a bit.

Good progress was made today on my porch. They will have the underlayment on the roof probably tomorrow, and will begin shingling it. There will still be a lot of interior work to do, but it's coming along!

I have one more photo I want to show you. It is of a Cabot girl, Erlene Barnett, taken in

the 1950s or somewhere about then, probably. The thing is, her daughter is wondering where it was taken. She says it was somewhere in Vermont, and thought it might have been Joe's Pond, but I am quite positive it was not taken here. I have no idea what the big tank is behind her, and the shoreline has no visible cottages. If anyone has an idea where it may have been, please contact me, janebrowncabot@gmail.com and I will give the information to Erlene's daughter. Erlene died fairly recently, and her daughter is trying to put together some of he mom's history before she left Vermont as a young woman. She was in school when I was going to highschool in Cabot, and I knew her then. She was a very petite, very pretty, and very fashion conscious. Not only that, she was always great fun to be around, and everyone liked her. Most of that family are gone now, but I expect there are a few people left in Cabot who remember her. She could have been a 50s model, don't you think?

The Cabot fire truck went whizzing down West Shore Road a little while ago, siren going; I turned on my scanner, but didn't hear anything that I could make out that would help figure out what was going on. There may be news later. It could have been an accident on Route 2 or perhaps a fire, but at this point I don't know. I haven't heard it return, but it might have gone back a different way. Fire trucks, ambulances and police vehicles are all worrisome when they appear on our road. I'll probably never get used to them. In the cities, nobody pays much attention to any of that, but here it sends chills up my spine because it could be someone I know in trouble. We'll hope it was nothing too serious.

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...