Monday, May 17, 2021

Nesting Comfortably!

 We have enjoyed a beautiful spring day today. I'm not sure how high the temperature went, but certainly high 60s and perhaps it hit 70 in the sun. Everything is springing to life and we will be in full summer mode soon, I'm sure. We did have a sprinkle of rain around 4:30 this afternoon, but hardly enough to mention.

Gretchen Farnsworth sent this photo of the loon on the nesting platform. Apparently the platform was duly approved by the loon couple and we can expect chicks in about four weeks. Thanks for the photo and the update, Gretchen.

I want to also let you know that arrangements are being made for a dry hydrant to be installed between the Hamilton and Dimick cottages on West Shore Road. Negotiations began after I requested the Cabot Fire Department look at the possibility of putting a pond and dry hydrant on my property. The site I had in mind would have worked, but wasn't ideal because it would have been above the road and there was concern by the person who is in charge of federal grants to towns for the hydrants that if the dam failed in a heavy rainstorm, the road would be washed out. And it wouldn't have been very large.

I asked if they had considered putting one in near Joe's Pond and both he and Skip Bothfeld, Cabot's fire chief, agreed that would be ideal, but they said there were few spots where the property was near pond level, on a wide enough road to accommodate the large trucks, and where property owners would agree. From there we discussed possible sites and Jamie went with them to look at possibilities on the level areas between our cottage and Ned and Carolyn Hamilton's. That was about in February, I think. There was a lot of snow on the ground and it was cold and I agreed to approach owners. This spring it was agreed that the line could be put into the brook between the two camps, eliminating the need to dig to run a line from the pond to the roadside where the hydrant will be located. Nobody's land will be disturbed and the hydrant will be on the town's right-of-way next to West Shore Road. The hydrant will serve Cabot, Danville and Walden fire departments, and will probably be installed this fall. 

Having a dry hydrant there will be a huge benefit to the general Joe's Pond community as well as the surrounding area. Skip Bothfeld said there have been times in the winter that they were unable to have a quick, adequate source of water and property was lost or severely damaged as a result. Now they will have access to plenty of water quickly, no matter what time of the year they need it.  There will likely be a reduction in insurance rates for people living near the hydrant, as well. 

That said, my plans are to dig a pond in a different location - partly because I've always wanted one and Fred and I talked about it many times; and another reason is that by letting water flowing from the many springs on the hillside above my lower lawn collect in a pond, I'm hoping the lawn will no longer have excessively wet spots. The new location is going to be easier and a better location to dig than where I had thought it might work for a dry hydrant. With the hydrant just down the road, there is no need for one up here, and that is fine with me. I'm just glad I started the conversation and now the hydrant is getting done - and I'm still going to have a pond. Everyone is happy! Now I have to wait for the ground to dry out a little so the big equipment can be brought in to start digging - hopefully sometime in July.



No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...