Saturday, May 08, 2021

Mothers Day Thoughts

 I've been seeing a lot of tributes to mothers, of course, but one that a friend posted on her Facebook page really struck me. I won't quote all of it, but the title was something like, "The Things Your Mother Would Never Tell You." It was a list that included things like that you made her cry - a lot; that she was always afraid for you; and that she sometimes watched you as you slept - and loved you even when you gave her a hard time. There was more, but I was thinking how true it is that we often don't realize how much love, time and effort goes into being a mother until we become one ourselves. Being a mom is without a doubt the hardest and the most important task anyone ever undertook, and most of us didn't have a clue. Talk about learning on the job - I remember being thoroughly traumatized when my first child was born and a nurse rattled off instructions of when to feed what, showing me how to fold and put on a diaper (we used cloth ones that had to be laundered), what to do for a rash, how to burp the baby after feeding, about supporting the infant's head, going through everything so quickly, my head spun. It was routine for her, but entirely foreign to me. I probably would have known at least some of those things if I'd had younger siblings or had baby sat as a teenager. But I knew absolutely nothing about tiny babies. I remember wondering why anyone would entrust an infant to someone like me.

I did learn on the job, and now know that being a mom was the most frustrating, frightening, enjoyable, rewarding and fulfilling job I ever had. I'm so very glad I had that experience - and have three great sons, three wonderful daughters-in-law and two super special granddaughters to show for all the tears, drama, and effort. 

Moms - you are important. Let your offspring shower you with gifts, compliments, beautiful cards and heartfelt words. It's your day, you deserve it, so enjoy it!


No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...