Tuesday, May 11, 2021

How Many Years Does It Take To Build a Screened Porch?

This would be a really long story, so I won't go into great detail; however, I've wanted to add a screened porch to the end of my house almost since we first moved here. When we came to this house, the house my parents built in the early 1960s,  we added two rooms and did extensive remodeling. Then, we purchased a super-efficient boiler to replace the old hot air furnace. We added a small deck on the front of the house and at the time, I thought that was all I'd need. Turned out that the black fly/mosquito season is worse and longer here that it was at camp where we lived year around for 18 years. That was when the screened porch idea became my dream. Screening in the deck didn't seem like a good option, but the end of the house might work. 

There was, of course, one problem. The boiler was direct-vented through the basement wall that would be directly under the porch. The emissions were supposedly non-toxic, but nonetheless, the smell was awful. Because it also heated our hot water for the house, it ran from time to time, day or night, all seasons. I had to keep windows closed on that side of the house. The obvious solution was to put the vent into an unused chimney flue right beside it. However, every time I asked the men servicing the boiler about it, they either said they didn't know, would see what they could find out (but I never heard back), or flat out said it wasn't a good idea and shouldn't be done. For years I more or less accepted that - but every now and then, when someone new and seemingly knowledgeable came to service the beastly boiler, I'd explore the options. Instead of options opening up over time, the German company that manufactured the boiler went out of business and nobody knew where to get parts. The probability of ever changing the vent seemed to be diminishing.

This spring, probably because I felt the need for a project to work on to keep my mind occupied and off other things, I began thinking about a screened porch again. I really wanted to find a way to enjoy being "outside" without having to be dripping with bug spray. First I had to find a building contractor. Larry Rossi was busy, but Bill, my oldest son, knew a guy. He contacted Randy Chamberlin who had done some work at camp and worked regularly for Bill in St. Johnsbury. Randy grew up in Danville, so he knows about weather changes in these parts and as soon as the snow was almost gone, he came to look at the situation and decided the only option for a porch would be the end of the house, exactly where I'd always wanted it, but - over the vent. 

I knew the vent was likely an obstacle. After a new round of getting "nobody makes the parts," or "the boiler may not operate if the vent is changed," and "you can't build anything over it," I contacted John Hammer who had installed the boiler for us and was now a state inspector. John got back to me quickly and made some suggestions - and also said he saw no reason it couldn't be vented into the existing flue. 

I contacted the folks who service my boiler and they promised to look into it. However, they said nobody was making the kit that would be needed and they weren't even sure the boiler would operate properly - according to the manuals they checked, there were all sorts of reasons it shouldn't be done. I was hoping they would come up with something, but called Randy to tell him the project would need to be postponed or maybe abandoned. He listened to my story and then said, "I know a guy. I'll get back to you."

Next thing I knew, Randy showed up with Rob Lawson (who grew up on the farm across from Molly's Pond!). Rob had installed and serviced boilers like mine and after looking at my setup said he was sure he could work something out. They left and within a day I had a call from Rob saying he had located everything he needed and would be up to take measurements. 

From there, everything has moved ahead pretty quickly. Randy contacted Ben Ackerman, who is a skilled heavy equipment operator and grew up just down the road from us, and as of yesterday, I have a gaping hole with a slanting wall of ledge at the end of my house. Ben made short work of digging out a failing stone wall and clearing everything so forms can be installed and cement poured. Finally, after all these years, I'm going to have a screened porch. No black flies or mosquitoes allowed! Ben even saved a good-sized maple tree for me!

I was hoping for a heavy rain to wash down the ledge - I'm going to leave it exposed, sort of as a tribute to my parents who had to change the positioning of this house when they dug the foundation  and ran into that same ridge of ledge. I think they would be pleased - I know my mother would love it. And I'm sure Fred would be very happy that I will finally have the porch we had planned together, tried to get done so often, but never were able to get things to come together.

Top photo is taking out the wall; middle is the ledges exposed, and last one is the little maple tree replanted on my back lawn - like it had always been there!

That ledge is unusual, being rounded like it is and in two tiers. I know there is probably a reason, but they aren't what I would have expected to find in this locale. No need to worry about keeping the weeds controlled under the porch!. It will be open on one side so my basement entrance will be undisturbed.


No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...