Friday, March 12, 2021

Signs of Spring

 


We had another nice spring-like day today, not quite as warm as yesterday, but still very nice and probably a decent day for maple sap to run. It won't be as productive for the next couple of days - we are getting a cool-down with possible snow - but that's pretty typical March weather.

There are definite signs of spring, though. The grader went over our road today to even out some of the potholes and washboard. It's early for the grader to be out, and frankly, I was surprised to see it. The frost is nowhere near out and the road has several spots that have slimy mud that isn't very deep, but still it can be tricky to navigate and this time of year you can't depend on the shoulders of the road to be stable, so it's pretty easy to end up in the ditch. The flat near Hamilton's and Shelly Walkers has developed serious washboard, and honing that may have helped a bit. It was encouraging to see the grader, in any event.

 Speaking of events - there is another one over at Butche's Harvest'ore and Tootsie's Ice Cream in Walden. This event is sweeter than most, and there may even be some of this year's syrup available. If you are in the area, head on over on the 27th - you'll no doubt see some friends there and even if you don't, I'm sure you'll make some new ones. Take the kids - they'll love it!

Another sign of spring is bare ground. Andy Rudin sent me this poem a few days ago. At the time, there was very little bare ground showing around here, but after the last two days, we actually have bare spots showing up. I was in St. Johnsbury today and was amazed at how little snow they have down there compared to Joe's Pond. Instead of patches of bare ground, they have patches of snow. It was good to see, and reminded me of this poem that Andy shared:

 I Need Brown

 by Kathleen Serley

 

I need brown . . .

the nut brown of summer,

saturated beach sand shaping to my feet,

moist garden soil finger-patted smooth.

 

I need brown . . .

the thrush, the catbird chatter of a busy wren,

fuchsia flowers popping from my dark brown urn,

a weathered garden bench.

 

Enough of winter whiteness,

enough of blinding snow.

Let me rest my eyes on the robin’s nest,

found twigs knit together to make a home.
 

 Personally, I'd go for green, and the sparkling blue water of Joe's Pond, but we'll have to get through the brown period first - even though that also means mud. Kathleen Serley is from Wisconsin, so I expect she knows about mud, too, although probably not like Vermont's. I guess mud doesn't really ever become poetic. I know some locals who have some choice words to describe it some years, though . . . not quotable, but descriptive.

Enjoy whatever the weather is this weekend - we're seeing a loosening of restrictions for lots of people and businesses as the Covid pandemic begins to simmer down, and that's good news for lots of us who are now fully immunized. I'm actually going out for lunch with Bob tomorrow!! And don't forget to set your clocks ahead one hour tomorrow night. Otherwise you'll start the week being out of sync with just about everything.

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...