Saturday, January 23, 2021

Through the Ice at Joe's Pond

 I just had a call from Shelly Walker that a four-track vehicle went through the ice somewhere off the shore between her place on West Shore Road and the fishing access. Shelly said someone came to her door trying to figure out a safe along the shore where they might winch the thing back to shore. There is a fire engine at the access area and there are several fishing shantys on the ice with lights in them, so they are either staying late because of the accident or perhaps planning to spend the night. It's very cold, only 2 degrees above zero here and probably below zero on the ice. I turned on my scanner and a few minutes ago heard that the retrieval operation was being suspended until daylight. Shelley said the fire engine has left and there seems to be a flatbed truck of some sort at the access area - she wasn't sure if they were leaving as well, but she could see several vehicles with lights still at the access. There seem to be a lot of lights around the pond tonight, and it's likely the four-track could have been someone local. We don't know who or how many people were involved, but fortunately, nobody got hurt. It really proves the point when we here the phrase from rescue personnel, "no ice is safe ice." If I hear more tomorrow, I'll post again.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...