I just had a call from Shelly Walker that a four-track vehicle went through the ice somewhere off the shore between her place on West Shore Road and the fishing access. Shelly said someone came to her door trying to figure out a safe along the shore where they might winch the thing back to shore. There is a fire engine at the access area and there are several fishing shantys on the ice with lights in them, so they are either staying late because of the accident or perhaps planning to spend the night. It's very cold, only 2 degrees above zero here and probably below zero on the ice. I turned on my scanner and a few minutes ago heard that the retrieval operation was being suspended until daylight. Shelley said the fire engine has left and there seems to be a flatbed truck of some sort at the access area - she wasn't sure if they were leaving as well, but she could see several vehicles with lights still at the access. There seem to be a lot of lights around the pond tonight, and it's likely the four-track could have been someone local. We don't know who or how many people were involved, but fortunately, nobody got hurt. It really proves the point when we here the phrase from rescue personnel, "no ice is safe ice." If I hear more tomorrow, I'll post again.
Saturday, January 23, 2021
Through the Ice at Joe's Pond
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Autumn in the Kingdom!
First of all, I goofed last week and somehow a message from Barry Cahoon with an update on our milfoil successes this summer failed to get p...
-
Winter is still here, and so is the Ice-Out Contest block! No sign of it sinking yet! As I write this, we are having another snow squall - ...
-
The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy and today I took a little time to go through some of my files to see what needs to be put aw...
-
This week turned out to be a doozie for me. I had anticipated going for a follow-up on my knee on Monday, but instead ended up in the ER at ...
No comments:
Post a Comment