Friday, December 04, 2020

A great video to watch!

 My neighbor, Anita, sent me a link to a really nice video about old-time Vermont that I think will resonate with a lot of you. It certainly took me back to when I was much younger, and I recognized the machinery and the way farming was done back in the 1950s. I was fairly grown up by then and not on the farm any longer, but still - everything in this video was so familiar, every sequence had something I could relate to. Here is a link to the film. Be sure your speakers are on. 

I was really impressed with the gentleman farmer (?) shown in a smoking jacket. (I don't mean that it was smoking as in really "really hot" - it was actually for relaxing at home, smoking, in this case a pipe! And this gentleman certainly had that down!) I don't think too many Vermont farmers sat down to eat Thanksgiving dinner wearing a smoking jacket. Although, perhaps up in Chittenden County . . . ? Take a little time and watch the video. I think you'll like it - the photography is authentic - I expected to see someone I knew in the film. I especially liked the side-delivery rake pulled by a tractor and watching the grapple fork (we called it a horse fork) taking the hay from the load into the barn. The one in the video was powered by an engine, while the one I remembered was powered by a horse, led by one of us kids!  And the cheese factory could have been Cabot - it sure looked like the process they have used in the past, but I expect it has all changed by now. I also noticed the strawberries they were picking were uniformly smaller than what we expect today - but I bet they tasted sweeter and were juicier. Sometimes think we have sacrificed flavor for quick growing practices and appearance. Anyway, I hope you enjoy watching as much as I did.

No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...