Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Storm Warning for Joe's Pond and Surrounding Area!

This came in from Andy Rudin this morning - and it's such good advice, I hope you will pass it on to neighbors who may not be familiar with these kinds of storms here at the pond: 

Hello Jane,
 
After tropical storm Irene, I bought an anemometer to measure wind speed. White caps on waves start at 12mph.   While the main damage was from rain, the wind was predicted to be substantial.  I collected three large plastic containers, set them on our dock, and filled them with water. 
 
I don't know what the maximum wind speed was, but I definitely remember 8pm.  I think it was August 28, 2011.  I was on the phone with my wife when I heard the wind shift.  The three containers with roughly 800 pounds of water were gone.  The water had raised the dock up over its vertical posts. It was against the shoreline, held there only by a strong steel cable fastened to a deep steel stake pounded deep into the lake bottom by the shore.
 
The weather now is mild rain with very little wind (4mph) from the east south east.  At 5pm this evening, however, the wind over Joe's Pond is forecast to increase to 12mph.  By 11pm tonight, its speed will more than double to 30mph and will stay that way for a few hours.  It will gradually calm down to 5mph about six hours later at 5am.
 
This forecast has not changed for many hours this morning, so I took my boat out of the water and will tie my dock down to its frame when I go swimming later.  Can you tell me what the maximum wind speed over Joe's Pond was during Irene?
 
If it was close to 30mph, and if you agree with my predictions, you may want to consider posting a warning on the blog.  I learned it is better to prepare when it is light outside rather than when it is dark.

Please take all necessary precautions to secure your boats and waterfront property, and be sure to have extra food and water available as we are likely to lose power. These summer storms can be ferocious and very damaging. Don't take chances - stay off the road and inside. Watch out for large trees that may come down on buildings, and check on your neighbors. Let's hope by the time it gets here it has lost some of its wallop.


No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...