Sunday, January 12, 2020

The big storm - rain, freezing rain, sleet, etc. - really didn't impact us much at all. I can't say for sure, but I don't believe there was any icing going on in our area. The roads were certainly slippery in some places, especially our back roads, but nothing on trees to weigh them down, and fewer power outages than were expected. We did not lose power even though there was quite a lot of wind. We did lose a lot of snow, however. Our driveway is now free of
snow and there was water on top of the ice on the pond early this morning. I expect it has all frozen over tonight - our above-freezing temperatures are a thing of the past and tonight I'm seeing 18.4F on my weather station. There was .82 in. of precipitation in the measuring tube this morning, and that wasn't as much rain as expected. All good news.

Some of you may be interested that Cabot is one of the towns that is negotiation to try to get high-speed internet service. The following notice was posted on Front Porch Forum today by Andrew Gilbert:
This is a reminder to help CVFiber in planning for high speed internet! CVFiber is charged with building a high speed internet solution in 18 Central Vermont communities.
We have received three grants to help get the planning completed. We have just hired a consultant to conduct a feasibility study and develop a business plan. One task they will be completing is prioritizing areas in the 18 communities for initial deployment of fiber broadband.
Having input from each community is critical to the planning process. And it goes without saying that response rates by community could potentially impact prioritization decisions.
Cabot is currently 6th or so in responses, at around 7%. And while it's not a competition per se, having every community as close as possible to 10% or even 20% will help tremendously in planning. And 3 other towns have met that mark (greater than 10%). Again, you can find the survey at https://arcg.is/1uaOm1. There are also paper copies with the town clerk or you can email me at andy@agilbert.net.
The window for responding is closing as we are beginning feasibility work. The deadline is January 24th!!

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I know lots of folks, us included, would love to have better internet service. Ours is really pretty good compared to what it used to be, but it could be better. Like everything these days, there's always newer, better technology available - usually right after you've just purchased the "latest, most up-to-date" gadget available. Actually, Fred and I don't have a lot of "gadgets" - unless you count the wildlife camera out back and the motion detector lights inside and out. We were remembering recently that we were one of the last around to get a microwave oven; now I'd be lost without it. But we still don't have smart phones, and it's a painful re-learning process every time need to use my laptop. Fred uses his all the time - building websites or whatever, but for me, there's nothing like my nice big-screen desktop where I can have documents open on a split screen and still read them comfortably - I do that all the time - and I have at least half a dozen documents open at once, easily juggling between them. I NEED that on a daily basis, and it's just not that convenient on the smaller screen of my laptop. Besides, I like my chair and my cluttered desk and stiffed files and bookcases (yes, even with the internet, I still use actual books for reference occasionally!)

However, today I realized I'd misplaced a whole chapter of the West Danville book. I found it easily, but it wasn't where I thought it was and turns out, I never finished it. I thought it had been edited long ago. Today I began re-reading it to be sure everything is in place before I send it off to our editor, but there's a big problem with reading it because every time I do, I change something. That usually has sort of a domino effect  and I end up rewriting whole sections. I'm hoping that won't happen as I proceed through this chapter, but there are no guarantees. Once it's actually on it's way to the editor, I can get back to finishing off the final chapter that I've been working on most recently. It is all coming together, but sometimes I wonder if there is some mysterious force working on prolonging this project. In spite of setbacks, we mush on!



No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...