Thursday, August 15, 2019

One of the regular readers of this blog issued a complaint (sort of) today that sometimes there isn't anything new posted each day. I've had that complaint before - and all I can say is that I'm truly sorry. It's very nice when people tell me it's the "first thing I read every morning." That's a lot of pressure, guys! And don't think I take my responsibility lightly here. My dilemma is - which is worse, to write some kind of drivel that isn't worth turning your computer on for, or to write nothing at all? Sometimes I'm saved by someone asking a question or sending me something to post. That always makes it easy for me. Other times I have to stir up the old neurons and come up with something all on my own. Usually I fall back on the reserve most of us old folks have - lots of memories, experiences and personal opinions gathered over decades of living, all the while keeping it fit for print. That can be a challenge in this day of political correctness and rage.

I was out and about today, had a couple of things to check out at the Danville town clerk's office and then went next door (literally, now the little house between town hall and Danville Inn is gone!) to have lunch with middle son, Bob. It's always a hoot when we get together.  It's great when the whole family is together, but when it's one-on-one, I always feel closer to whichever son I'm with. On the way home after lunch I was remembering that those one-on-one sessions years ago when the boys were growing up were really necessary - kind of "mother's therapy sessions" to try to fix things when it became apparent something was bothering one of them. We used to hop into my little blue Opel and head to Boston to the sportsman's show, to Whitefield for a Brubeck concert or Lyndon State College for a play. Sometimes it would just be lunch some place for a clam roll and fries. Whatever excuse to get the kid with the problem isolated with no place to hide from Mom's wisdom - such as it was. Usually all they needed was to come clean about whatever it was that was bothering. But when I look back, those were precious moments for me - and I hope they remember them that way, too. Those were such busy years, it was hard to really connect sometimes.

Today wasn't serious stuff like happened sometimes years ago - fortunately, all three seem to be able to cope pretty darned well with whatever life throws at them; so now it's my turn to need the one-on-one time, otherwise life goes rushing by and I'm constantly being surprised that I have three adult sons, three beautiful daughter-in-law and two lovely grandchildren who are wonderful individuals I always feel I want to get to know better and whose company I thoroughly enjoy.

It was a very nice day. I ran into old friends at both the town offices and at Steve's; met Danville's Zoning Administrator, Linda Leone who I had talked with from time to time over the phone, but never actually met (Linda was kind enough to offer her assistance in case I needed it before she left for lunch); I enjoyed chatting with her, even though there was nothing anyone could do to help me except perhaps carry those heavy ledgers back and forth for me! Boy, those are heavy. It's the same in Cabot, but I don't have to carry them so far there because they have a table right in the vault.

After a quick stop at Larrabee's for a couple items, I was home and back at my computer for a full afternoon working on the history book.  I was surprised that I met someone local just recently who wasn't aware we are writing a history of West Danville. I'm guessing he doesn't read the blog! But I shouldn't be surprised, I guess - who would have thought it would take us six years and we're still not finished?! I'm sure none of us working on the book ever thought it would be such a huge project; but we didn't know then how much material there was/is that we all agree needs to be covered. One thing we really want to do is try our best to get it right. We know there will be glitches, errors, omissions and such, but we are truly trying to get it right.  Dot Larrabee just did a really nice interview with the Perreaults on Injun Joe's, and I'm trying to reach Tom Lauzon for the latest "history" before we close that chapter, but I haven't been able to reach him yet. Maybe tomorrow - which I just noticed at 12:30 a.m. is actually today . . . ! Oh, well.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...