If you are bothered by mosquitoes, you should read this article from a recent New York Times: The Mosquitoes Are Coming For Us
Cousin Ora sent that link. She spends time each summer at a friend's cottage on Newark Pond, and I expect there are times when the mosquitoes are pretty thick up there so she has felt that there were enough of them to carry her off.
A few weeks ago I noticed there were mosquitoes clinging to the screen of our bedroom window every morning. This made me pretty nervous, but the screens are tight and none of them got in. It was just after the black flies had begun to dwindle a bit, so I was still using heavy-duty bug repellent every time I went outside. Now there don't seem to be any around - but there are deer flies. Critters big and small all have their moments during warm weather in Vermont, for sure. And gradually, ever so stealthily, we are getting different and more dangerous varieties of pests and insects that we have to watch out for. If it isn't something that attacks us like ticks and mosquitoes, it's bugs that attack our deer, moose, maple or ash trees - and the list grows every year. Still, we're better off here than lots of other places. Very few poisonous snakes and no alligators - yet. Take a few minutes and read this article on just how far north alligators are.
Monday, July 29, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well - Happy Birthday to Me! I've made it through another year and almost to the anniversary of tearing the ligament in my knee a year ...
-
Winter is still here, and so is the Ice-Out Contest block! No sign of it sinking yet! As I write this, we are having another snow squall - ...
-
The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy and today I took a little time to go through some of my files to see what needs to be put aw...
-
It is always sad when I have to report that someone close to the Joe[s Pond community has passed away. I recently learned that a long-time J...
No comments:
Post a Comment