Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Another rainy day - but isn't everything beautifully lush and green?! I love the bright green colors of spring, and the bursts of white wild cherry and apple blossoms. 

Yesterday was supposed to be a "get-away" day for us. We had appointments just before noon in St. Johnsbury and intended to go to Polly's Pancake House in Franconia for lunch - always a treat this time of year when flowers are blooming and the mountains have the soft, fresh colors of early spring leaves - plus, the expanded menu at Polly's is very good.  Nothing went as planned. 

I'll back up a little. Every morning I check my eyes using a little card - straight grid lines making little squares around a single white dot in the middle of the card. With macular degeneration, the grid lines become skewed. With me, my right eye has skewed vision, but my left eye has only slightly dimmed vision - lines are straight on the card. The purpose of the card check every day is to note any changes and if there are any, get in touch with the doctor. For the past few days, I was getting slight skewing with my "good" eye - the left one. I didn't want to call my doctor unless I was positive something was changed, so I waited. Yesterday when I went on the computer, I had a difficult time focusing - the lines of text were running together and swimming in crazy curves and dips.

Long story short, I called Dr. Kim's office and they said they wold talk to him and get back to me. We headed for our appointments in St. J. and as soon as we finished there, came back home. We had a message from Dr. Kim's office and we headed immediately for Shelburne. The good news was that there is nothing serious going on with my eye, but he did give me the usual shot. At my appointment in May, I got the shot only in my right eye. He assured me yesterday that from now on I'll be getting them in both eyes. That's better than losing my eyesight, and it's only uncomfortable for a few hours. But darn, that's no way to spend a rare "day off to play." Fred assures me we'll make it to Polly's (or at least take another "day to play") soon.

So I expect today will go about as usual. My eye seems to be behaving better already - I expected it would take a few days for the medicine to work - and that will probably be true. Things aren't back to normal, but better than before.

We got a little rain overnight - I haven't measured yet, but the temperature is still below normal for this time of year at 50 degrees. Someone said recently they expect we'll get instant summer when the weather finally turns around. Then we'll all be shining about the heat, I suppose. The weather with humans is a lot like fleas on dogs - they keep them from worrying about being a dog. Without the weather to bug uss, just think of all the other human problems and troubles we could be complaining about! 

Have a good day, regardless of the weather or lines that aren't exactly straight in your life.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...