Monday, April 29, 2019

Well, this is embarrassing. I certainly intended to post the big news of the day early this morning, but it's been a very busy day and I'm just now getting a chance to do this. I wanted to tell everyone how depressing it was to wake up this morning and find the ground all covered with snow again. We just got rid of it! And then it came back. I wasn't surprised because it snowed off and on all day yesterday. Fortunately it was all gone by 9 o'clock - or most of it was - but the sun didn't really shine all day and the temperature remained in the 30's and low 40s. I had to melt the snow in my collection tube before I could measure the precipitation - about .20 inches. 
     It was such a gloomy day yesterday, we decided we needed to get out of the house, so we jumped in the car and went down to Cabot to pick up a pizza at the Cabot General Store. They do a mean pizza there. We weren't sure how the road would be, and I have to admit, there were a few spots on Cabot Plains Road that were not great, but certainly were nothing compared to some years. The thing is, there is still a whole lot of frost in the roads so there are humps and bumps, soft shoulders and slimy slippery spots that can be a problem if you want to get anywhere fast. Best to take your time. West Shore Road is still pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend Cabot Plains Road except for those used to driving in that kind of muddy mess. You definitely have to ride the ridges.
    Joanne Stewart is getting the newsletter ready to publish. It will come out just a tad later than usual because she's still in Florida. She's done a great job and there are a bunch of new advertisers in it this year I think Joe's Ponders will enjoy finding out about. Once it has been published, anyone can go to the website and read it, too.
     I'm getting ready to publish a new JPA directory and there have been so many changes my head is spinning. I found out that we Cathy and Tom Dodge are now year 'rounders at their home on Channel Drive. Now there's a challenge. That road is difficult. Like Tom said - sometimes it's under water - I expect that was the case at least for a few days last week. But they have great neighbors and everyone pitches in to keep the road passable. Then I also found out that Lee Hackett's winter residence is now St. Johnsbury - he's come home after living in Wisconsin, I think it was. There are other changes, but I need to get to bed so I'll be able to function tomorrow. Another busy day ahead. I just hope there isn't snow on the ground again tomorrow morning. 
     Before I turn in, here's an interesting website you might like to explore. Our neighbor and good friend, Luke Persons (the one with the big beard) is really onto a great invention, we think. He explains in a short video
     I also want to let you know that the loons have arrived - Geri Pelok reported there are three in their cove, and Tom Dodge told me he saw two young bald eagles sitting on the ice today. Sure signs of spring, I guess. Another is the geese returning. We can hear them plainly - I just hope they keep moving and don't nest and hang out here! The eagles could be a threat to the loon chicks, but that's part of the process wildlife goes through. We'll hope for the best.
We saw a lot of turkeys on our way to Cabot Village yesterday. They are eating well in Burtt's pasture and they were getting along just fine with the cattle.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...