Saturday, December 15, 2018

Just when you think you've seen everything! This picture came from Diane Rossi today. Diane said she thinks they were roasting hotdogs! Sounds good, and what a great day to have a picnic on the ice! Or maybe they were cooking the fish they just caught! 

Then later in the day we were in the village to get the mail and saw two people sitting and fishing out on the ice in just off the beach at the first pond. I don't recall seeing anyone fishing there often, but I suppose there's no reason not to. With the current a bit more swift as it flows towards the day, I'd worry about the thickness of the ice, but I guess they probably knew what was safe.

Lovely weather today - a good deal warmer and at least some sun. Now I'm hoping we don't lose all of our snow before Christmas! It could happen - but not very likely, as I think there must be 12-18 inches still on the ground. I got our snowshoes out the other day, so there's no reason for me not to go out and measure the depth - except I'm downright lazy about it. Maybe tomorrow, if the spirit moves. I should do it from time to time for CoCoRaHS, but for the past couple of years I just haven't bothered. There have been some years that I waded out into the back yard where it's level with no drifts, and carefully measured the depth and took a core sample to measure the amount of precipitation. I have to shovel down to the ground to get a metal "stopper" under the tube to keep the snow in. My measuring tube is only about 14 inches tall, so sometimes when the snow is really deep  I have had to take precip measurements in two or three segments. Sometimes there's a crust part way down and that can make getting a good measurement difficult. But like I always say, measuring snow and precipitation isn't rocket science, so I just do the best I can.


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...