Thursday, July 26, 2018

It's funny how quickly our mindset can change. Before the incidence of shots being fired at the boating access on Sunday, I would have immediately thought "fireworks" last night, but instead my first thought was "gun shots." In my defense, it was Wednesday night, well after dark - so why would I expect fireworks? With a little investigation, I could see the pretty displays through the trees and breathed a sign of relief. Then I thought how sad it is that I immediately thought something bad was happening instead of recognizing it was a celebration.

I was talking to a doctor recently who was lamenting that many people who come looking for medical help really need psychological help. This seems to be more common today than just a few years ago. Why, I wonder. I suppose lots of things feed into people having mental issues - probably one of the most important is parenting, either the lack thereof, when they were very young or over-doing it, helicoptering, when they are older. Many children's lives have been so carefully scheduled by their parents that there is no down time, no free time for them to use their imagination or make the mistakes that happen along the way to  becoming independent. When they get older the mistakes they make are more serious because they missed out on life's lessons at age-appropriate times and simply do not have adequate coping skills. So they go off the rails. And there are many issues, temptations and pitfalls that challenge even the most grounded today that were not around even a decade or two ago.

My little sermon is over and I will report that I measured .99 inch of rain from yesterday's showers. The air is still pretty soggy, but we need all the moisture we can get right now.

Don't forget that the Italian Dinner is this Saturday, July 28th at the Joe's Pond Association pavilion. Call Pam Hebert for tickets: 802-684-3655.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...